9 USD dollar computer and AdvancedHMI

In the EU at least, there has to be an EC Declaration of Conformity. This is not trivial.
It more or less means do-it-yourself electronics is a no-no.

edit: But an inexpensive fan-less standard PC will definitely be possible and acceptable (for use in an "office" or control room, not in the plant) with Advance HMI. I think Archie has already shown this in a previous thread.

Last edited:
It sure looks promising,
I do already for long time Arduino, is same type of development, and is also very cheap, and has huge forum and knowledge base.
Hoping this is better as the RPi.
It sure looks good to me.

Looks similar to the R-Pi, but less programming ability needed to get it off the ground. We'll probably get a couple to have a play with, but I can see a couple of on-machine applications for it too.

Just realize - I built a sister pair of machines for a customer (simple, identical operations) and bought micro-PLC's that worked great & did the job - but the customer objected to the "toys" running his new machines & gave me 2 Micrologix PLC's to replace them, that I had to install & re-write a program for.

With this computer:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer.
And AdvancedHMi, HMI will get into a new era.

Getting advanced HMI running on a pi2 with windows 10 IOT is quite a feat. I doubt that it will be easier on linux.

From what I gathered, the cheapest easily maintainable option for advanced HMI are mini all in ones windows pc's like the PIPO wich you can get them around 200$ on amazon and ebay.

But I would definitely NOT use them in an industrial setting except to track lost time. I would not trust anything that is not industry rated for user HMI.

IMHO, advanced HMI and credit card developer boards are not going to replace operator panels in any near future.

Imagine the lost time of operation if your developer board fails, even if minor like power supply... you'd have to train all maintenance personnel to program those and compile advanced hmi? where would you call for 24/7 support? you'd be getting lots of phone calls in the middle of the night to support what you developed... they are meant to be prototype boards. The wise move would be to leave them as that.

Now if you were to use Advanced HMI on industrial PC's, now that's another subject....

51OPjeUIQiL.jpg

Last edited:
Getting advanced HMI running on a pi2 with windows 10 IOT is quite a feat. I doubt that it will be easier on linux.

I actually found it quite easy to get it running on the Pi with Linux. Flash the SD card with Raspbian, install a couple of Mono packages, copy your application over and launch it with Mono.

I actually found it quite easy to get it running on the Pi with Linux. Flash the SD card with Raspbian, install a couple of Mono packages, copy your application over and launch it with Mono.

yes I totally agree, easy enough for someone with linux experience. But how many people can easily deploy linux , get the right repositories, install mono, and get the file on there. What if minor changes are required? The maintenance personnel is not gonna like something they cant maintain themselves.

I was simply replying to OP stating that a 9$ chip and advanced HMI was going to bring HMI's to a new era. IMHO, it's not... we already had 40$ pc's, i dont think 30$ is gonna make a difference.

But that's just my opinion, I will probably left sitting in my era with FTView while everyone moved to the new era