FT Viewpoint/VNC and remote users?

dginbuffalo

Hello. I have a customer who connects remotely to their Panelview 6 plus and uses Viewpoint to check/control a station. They've expressed the need to have more than one person connected at a time. PV+'s Viewpoint app only allows one user on at a time. I "think" they could get two connections if one person connects through the VNC and the other Viewpoint? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions if they wanted more than 2? AB suggests installing Site Edition and buying Viewpoint licenses which is a pretty big coin! I could buy another product and run on a computer but i would have to recreate the screens. Thanks for any advice.

With VNC you can have multiple connections you just have to set it up that way but you need to keep in mind the PV is just a small windows CE computer so there is not a lot of Horsepower there.

Start making more than 1-2 connections and the performance is really going to stink.

If you need multiple people connecting to the same application you do need something like SE distributed, etc.

It sounds like the customer is trying to get SCADA functionality from a stand alone product. Anytime you try to use a device for something it was never designed for and it expect reliability from it you are asking for trouble.

IMHO if they don't want to pay for what they really need it may be the kind of job you want to bid too high on.

Hi Guys.

A related ViewPoint question: Is ViewPoint in effect just a screen share via webportal?
Ie. Does a remote user see the same screens at the same time as a local user (kind of like VNC), or can each user view and interface with different screens at the same time?

I'm designing a system with only one HMI (FactoryTalk View SE 8.0, stand alone on an industrial PC) but want a couple of remote operators to be able view the system without disturbing the local operator.

Thanks in Advance.
Graz

Hi Guys.

A related ViewPoint question: Is ViewPoint in effect just a screen share via webportal?
Ie. Does a remote user see the same screens at the same time as a local user (kind of like VNC), or can each user view and interface with different screens at the same time?

I'm designing a system with only one HMI (FactoryTalk View SE 8.0, stand alone on an industrial PC) but want a couple of remote operators to be able view the system without disturbing the local operator.

Thanks in Advance.
Graz

With Viewpoint, you can look at screens independently of the a local user is doing. The downside with Viewpoint is only 1 remote user at a time. I "believe" you could have one remote viewpoint user and one VNC user connected, but with a VNC user, he WILL actually be changing the local screens while connected.