AB PLC with batter operated

mbreddy

Hi All,

Could you please let me know if any AB or any other PLC which operates with Battery and no external power supply?

Thanks,

Any PLC can be operated from a battery. If it's a 12 or 24VDC PLC, just hook up the batteries directly. If it's 120 or 240, use an inverter. You need to specify your actual requirements.

Any PLC can be operated from a battery. If it's a 12 or 24VDC PLC, just hook up the batteries directly. If it's 120 or 240, use an inverter. You need to specify your actual requirements.

Since you require Ethernet, do you have an HMI (or a PC with an HMI on it) that will also have to powered by the battery or inverter? What about a switch or router?

The more things connected to the battery will reduce the battery run-time, unless you're planning on a large bank of batteries to run the system.

Ah, when I read the title, I was excited about the prospect of a pancake-powered PLC. I'm so disappointed...

Aabeck said:
...The more things connected to the battery will reduce the battery run-time, unless you're planning on a large bank of batteries to run the system.

That's why battery run controllers, especially mini PLCs like the Barth, are designed specifically for battery supply. They are miniature and low power consumption devices, but this does tend to limit their capabilities.

rdrast said:
Any PLC can be operated from a battery...

Yes, powering a standard 12/24VDC PLC off a battery supply is doable, but is it power consumption efficient? As said, the battery pack will tend to be larger, as standard PLCs will have extra comms and peripherals pulling on the supply, perhaps negating the compact advantage of using the particular battery powered PLC?

But if size "doesn't matter", then by all means, hook whatever you need up to power them.

I'm asking more than telling. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this with a standard PLC?
I'm sure that sometimes, in some places, having a supply is a luxury.

G.

O/P give some more info as to the application...

If you need Ethernet I'd use a 24VDC Micro Logix 1100 and size a battery accordingly to how long you need it to run for.