PLC-2 Conversion

Psymon

I have some .pr1 and .da1 files from a PLC-2. Is there any easy way to convert these to a PLC-5? Hell, I'd settle on something where I could at least open the file and look at it. Thanks.

*.PR1 = Processor Memory file
*.DA1 = Data Table file

If you don't have a rung comment file (*.AC$) or address comment file (*.B0$), then you are going to have a pretty cryptic-looking control program.

These files are from the old "6200-PLC2" software that A-B offered in the Eighties. In order to do an automated conversion from 6200-PLC2 to PLC-5 format, you would need both AI-2 software itself and the AI-2/5 converter utility, both of which are Very Expensive.

If you contract this out to Rockwell's technical service division, they won't have to tool up to do the work and you save money and time.

You can re-use your 1771 I/O hardware with a PLC-5, and the PLC-2 controller might even be worth a discount on RA's "Step Forward" program.

This one is for Ken. Is the PLC-2 6200-IPDS software still protected under copyrite or is it old enough to copy and distribute?

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Is any PC software old enough to have entered the public domain ? As I understand, copyrights for software in the USA fall under the general principle that a copyright on a "created for hire" work last for 75 years.

6200-PLC2 is obsolete, but that doesn't mean it's public domain.

That's an interesting question.

Modicon, for example, has discontinues ModSoft. From what I understand they will no longer sell or support it.

If the product is not for sale and not supported then why should the company care if it's copied?

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

BTW Ken, do we know each other? I worked for A-B tech support in Highland Heights in the late 1980's early 1990's. I was the PLC-5, DB, Analog, etc... guy.