Selector Switch in FT View ME

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone,
I am trying to create a 2 state selector switch in FT View ME 8.0. I would like it to send a 1 to a tag if it is on the right and a 1 to a different tag if it is on the left. How do I do this? It is really easy to do in Crimson 3.0 but I am not finding the proper way to do it in FT View.

Thanks for the help!!

I would like it to write continuously if possible. If not I can can make it latch in the PLC.

Then you simply described two bits being inversion of each other.
Drive one of them directly by the selector switch, and create another in the PLC, as inverted first one.

Sergei's recommendation is the easiest.

In FactoryTalk View, you would need at least two Macros to do this, with one button to run each macro.

It's far, far easier in other HMI platforms.

Why 2-State Selector Switch?

Hello everyone,
I am trying to create a 2 state selector switch in FT View ME 8.0. I would like it to send a 1 to a tag if it is on the right and a 1 to a different tag if it is on the left. How do I do this? It is really easy to do in Crimson 3.0 but I am not finding the proper way to do it in FT View.

Thanks for the help!!

A programmable HMI /MMI/OI is just a device to allow humans to view status, and give user input to make selections. Many engineers recognize that they replace hard-wired push-buttons, and selector switches.

Some engineers get carried away and try to graphically represent the replace round, physical device. I have even seen an animated bitmap of a key-switch including a dangling fob of a cluster of unrelated keys. What a waste of time IMO. This graphical representation offers no real function, and consumes usable screen space for real objects. Also, the user had to touch a specific side of the graphic to get the switch to move in the desired direction, (slowing the simple task).

Round objects tend not to effectively allow for informative text to the object. I endorse square or rectangular HMI buttons to allow the most effective space for full text vs. Abbreviated text.

You only have two states, I would endorse an illuminated, momentary PB to write to PLC, and the illumination status to be read from the PLC. This would be the most robust solution. I would NOT use a maintained HMI button, many people will flood a response why a maintained HMI is not desired.

We make HMI screens primarily to allow the operator to see as much information on the fewest amount screens.

The sole argument for fancy animated graphical bitmaps, would be to make the displays as some sort of sales tool to impress managers and purchasers, not end-users.

My $0.02