PanelView Standard Comm Change

danny.michael

Lifetime Supporting Member
Today I needed a PanelView standard with touch screen and DH+ communication to test a PLC/DCS upgrade. The old PanelViews at the customer site will remain. My problem is that I have two PanelView standard terminals, one is a keypad only with DH+ communication and the other is a touch only with RIO communications. I thought I could swap the comm modules and make the touch unit communicate on DH+. The comm modules all have the same connector to attach to the motherboard and I figured the PanelView operating system would see which type module was attached and just use it. But when I swapped the modules and went to communication setup it still had the RIO dialog with an error message that the communication hardware was faulted.

Rockwell support says the comm modules are not field replaceable. They also told me I had voided the warranty by opening the unit:sick:. How many years has it been since they sold these????

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to make a PanelView standard recognize a different comm module than the one that came in it?

I've tried extensively to fool or modify the hardware ID codes on the old PanelView Standard 1000's to switch RIO and DH+ boards and never got it to work.

While you can reprogram a PanelView 300 Micro with either DF1 or DH485 firmware, you cannot change the network module on any other PanelView Standard terminal.

Thanks Ken. For some reason I thought I'd changed one years ago but it must have been substituting a good comm module for a bad one of the same type.

I modified all of the screens (25 total) to use function keys for the buttons just to get through our testing. It's one of those situations where I believed everything would work together as planned but testing in the lab is the only way to be 100% certain it will work at the plant site.