AB to Modicon...

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi. I have some modest experience with AB 5/500 and micrologix. as wel as Fisher ROC and Bristol RTU's.

I may have a chance to deal with some modicons here, but im wondering is there any tips as to the differences? i havent even looked at the software yet... Just asking.

Probably need more info
Older (pre 1995) modicons 984 584 484 used a form of ladder logic and were programmed using modsoft or proworx
Quantum used concept (some used proworx) and concept programming was totally different to 984 ladder logic
All the current modicons (quantum M340s M580s) use Unity which is an IEC based platform

both 984 and quantum ring a bell. I am on site today I will take a look and get more info. thank you.

Ive used M340s with Unity and I like the software.
It is a bit different then RSLogix but most concepts are very similar.
It has an excellent PLC simulator which actually works. You can hook up a HMI to your PC and literally run the entire program off the PC like it was in a real PLC unlike the piece of garbage that Rockwell calls a simulator.
The feature set and functionality is very good.

You will be fine then coming from a SLC background.

Data is addressed using standard modbus notation, i.e coils are 0x registers, discrete inputs are 1x, analog inputs are 3x and analog outputs are 4x. Eg first discreet input will be 100001.

Memory bits are also 0x registers, memory words 4x. If you are looking at existing programs you'll see the real IO first then a gap in addresses then the memory stuff.

Logic is arranged in a 7 high by 11 wide (from memory) grid. Each grid is called a network. A collection of networks is called a segment (kinda like the files in Logix500).

The only other thing which catches new people out i think is the logic scan order. It's vertically down the grid from left to right.

I have a great hard copy reference manual for all the instructions etc. It might be on the Schneider website if you're lucky.

thank you very much for your time. I have actually found a manual on the shelf so I will be reading it the next few evenings

I got my manual the same way, a bookshelf of old sales brochures and rubbish from when the plant was built. .. And this gem of information tucked away at the bottom!

Not sure which manual you're referring to but definately study the relevant sections of the Ladder Logic Block Library User Guide. You can find it online by googling 'modicon 840 use 101 00'