CompactLogix - SCADA Ethernet Input

abhzter

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I want to configure CampactLogix 1769-L36ERM in a way to receive Ethernet Input from a SCADA system. I will be using built in Ethernet Port to achieve this. Client wants to send Flow level data to this controller from SCADA to control gates and valves.

I have never worked with SCADA and configured built in Ethernet port to receive external inputs.

Question 1: How to configure it?
Question 2: What all information should I need from client regarding their SCADA system to configure it?

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need information from me to answer my query.

You’re going to need to provide a lot more details. Ethernet isn’t something that is an “input” but rather a means of communications. From the start if you’re not familiar with programming Logix PAC’s you’re going to need to get help from Rockwell or your AB distributor. It’s not a simple process if you’ve never done it before.
With that, the data you need to gather needs to be in a format that in compatible with EtherNet/IP (the Ethernet protocol that Rockwell uses). From there you will need to create message instructions to read the data or the SCADA equipment will need to be compatible with “produce/consume”. The list goes on from there.
You’re asking a very vague question for a fairly complicated process.

You’re going to need to provide a lot more details. Ethernet isn’t something that is an “input” but rather a means of communications. From the start if you’re not familiar with programming Logix PAC’s you’re going to need to get help from Rockwell or your AB distributor. It’s not a simple process if you’ve never done it before.
With that, the data you need to gather needs to be in a format that in compatible with EtherNet/IP (the Ethernet protocol that Rockwell uses). From there you will need to create message instructions to read the data or the SCADA equipment will need to be compatible with “produce/consume”. The list goes on from there.
You’re asking a very vague question for a fairly complicated process.

Thanks for your response Firejo. I am familiar with basics of programming PLCs and I guess my way of communication made you doubt my skills. Thanks for correcting me - It is indeed a communication and not an input. I am still learning and as you mentioned, this is little advanced for me.

That being said, can you shed more light on how can I create a message instruction to read SCADA data? Am I supposed to configure Internet Protocol in Controller properties?

In the mean time, I have requested our client to get back to me with SCADA data details.

Typically, the SCADA package will need to write the data to the PLC. You will need to do very little on your side other than provide the controller IP address and a list of tagnames that need to be written to.

Their SCADA engineer will need to configure an IO server to point to those tags in your PLC and then add some logic or scripting to the SCADA package to write to those tags.

I haven't done a Compactlogix for a while but from memory when i did some integration with Wonderware Intouch, the tags needed to be in Controller scope.

The only other thing you need to consider with this approach is detecting loss of comms from your side. Typically i configure a running counter in the PLC that the SCADA package resets every minute. If it doesn't do a reset then i raise a comms fail flag.