winxp mode on win 7 pc

irondesk40

have a new pc now at work that has win 7 loaded on it.
I also have my old pc with win xp that it allowed me to keep to work on some of the older software projects.
I have loaded the allen bradley panelbuilder software on the pc with win 7 and IT loaded windows 7 virtual Pc and win xp mode software on my pc.
when i open the panelbuilder software on the pc that has the win 7 on it, the windows virtual pc software starts and i can actually open and modify and save a panelbuilder project.
Now here is where i am confused and can get no assistance from our IT department.
if i selected to download i can not see my usb to serial adapter that i use on the older serial stuff. when the xp mode is running and i go to control panel it does not reconize the usb to serial.
also, i can start up rslinx when using win 7, but if i start the virutal xp mode i do not see the software for allen bradley such as the programming software or rslinx all it will show under all programs is the allen bradley panelbuilder software.
anyone out there got any good advice? Our IT group told me that only the windows virtual and xp mode was allowed on the win 7 pc and if i am on the network to not run it.
completely confused.
thanks

if i selected to download i can not see my usb to serial adapter that i use on the older serial stuff. when the xp mode is running and i go to control panel it does not reconize the usb to serial.
Using a virtual computer is like having 2 computers each with its own operating software. If you have software or ports loaded and enabled on the main (Win 7) of the computers, then that software or ports or drives will not run or work on the virtual Windows XP, because it is already in use on the other computer. If you want a USB port to be enabled in the virtual PC, there are controls (at least in VMware Player) to switch that port to the virtual PC while disabling it in the Win 7 PC.

The bottom line is that you cannot use the same devices in two computers at the same time, unless you have two different versions of each.

thanks. very confusing to me at this moment. I looked into vmware but our IT group will not let up install. I think i will try and download it over the weekend and install it on my home win 7 pc and see how it works.
is there any good info on how to set up the vmware? Also, is there a way to take a win 7 pc that you have the windows virtual software and win xp mode software and start it up in winxp mode instead of win 7.
hate to ask so many questions but going out of town to one of our branch locations next week and will be working on some older equipment that has a small allen bradley panelview 300 on it and the panelbuilder software will not run on my win 7 pc.

Also, is there a way to take a win 7 pc that you have the windows virtual software and win xp mode software and start it up in Win xp mode instead of Win 7.
I don't know of any way to do that using the VMware Player software. The computer always starts in Windows 7 mode, then I can start VMware Player, and switch to Windows XP mode. When in XP mode, I can go to the top menu and select "Player, Removable Devices", then select which devices, ports, and network adapters that I want to be switched from Windows 7 over to Windows XP.

Note for this to work, you must have a valid copy of the Windows XP software that you can install.

There are additional software features that can be purchased from VMware that may allow you to start in Windows XP mode. VMware Player is only free for non-commercial use.

Last edited:
thanks, will try and look it over this weekend.
still have the older pc with win xp so will just have to take it with me.

I feel for you.... IT guys usually don't understand the needs of us Control guys, they can't fathom the thought that we have to make communication connections to all these different platforms, and we need to do it without having to do major configuration changes for each device.

Luckily for me, our IT dept branched down from under the Eng dept, and as such they are expected to accommodate my needs (they may not "get it", but they do it).

When I moved up(?) to Win7 I found that it didn't like to play nice with some of the older Rockwell software, and after a little research I found the common workaround was to run the older stuff on a Virtual XP machine. My IT dept supported me by installing VMWare Workstation, and I virtualized my old XP machine and keep in running in the back-round. System devices like network cards and com ports are available on both the host and the virtual machines, but removable USB devices need to be manually connected/disconnected depending on where you want to use them.

Good luck on your quest to update, and just hope you can get your IT guys to understand your needs.....

Regards,
JohnR

Rather than using "windows XP mode" I suggest you try VirtualBox. It is quite featured and useful, and I have used it to use older software. Your IT department may even be able to create an image of your old windows XP install so that you can just use that on the host OS. It is also free.

The USB to serial adapter must be plugged in and seen in device manager under Win7 before opening "WinXP Mode" VM.
Start "WinXP Mode" VM...
In the upper left you will see "USB".... Select this and it will show you your serial adapter and the ability to "Attach".

Last edited: