Weight Application - Terminolgy and Programming advice

Hi there,

I have an application that I am struggling to find the correct terminology for.

From SCADA, the operator should have the ability to fill by time or by weight. If by time the pump will run for a fixed time.

If by weight I want to check that the weight has not changed by x kg in y seconds that the machine must be full so I can transition on to next step in sequence.

What is this called? Derivative perhaps? What would you call the parameters so an operator could understand easily what is happening.

Rate of Change. If Rate of Change = 0, then next step.

Thanks Keith. So for my 2 parameters on my HMI screen:

X: If weight increases greater than this much the machine is not full
Y: Check weight increase in this time

How would you name these variables?

Depending on the material being feed to machine the weight increase varies considerably over time.

Typically is there a built in instruction for "Rate of Change" in a PLC? I'm using Logix5000 controller and can only think of the DERV instruction but I don't think that will do what I need.

Is it just as simple as a taking a sample every Y seconds and comparing it against previous and if weight hasn't increased by X then advance the sequencer.

Thanks Keith. So for my 2 parameters on my HMI screen:

X: If weight increases greater than this much the machine is not full
Y: Check weight increase in this time

How would you name these variables?

Depending on the material being feed to machine the weight increase varies considerably over time.

Typically is there a built in instruction for "Rate of Change" in a PLC? I'm using Logix5000 controller and can only think of the DERV instruction but I don't think that will do what I need.

Is it just as simple as a taking a sample every Y seconds and comparing it against previous and if weight hasn't increased by X then advance the sequencer.

Are you simply looking for appropriate terminology for describing these variables to the operator via your HMI? If so, then how about:

X - Weight Differential
Y - Sample Interval