Looking for 480VAC version of this device

Greg Dake

Greetings!

Please see the motor/vacuum blower in the link below. We have used this product very successfully for a few years now on our systems we build to create a vacuum to convey salt and other food powders. The motor is single phase, 240VAC, 21,860 RPM.

I would like to get this, or something similar, in 480VAC as most of our customers want to supply 480VAC 3 phase AND most other components in our systems are 480VAC.....this motor always ends up sort of being the electrical oddball.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Greg

http://www.centralvacuumfactory.com...-12111413-2stage-vacuum-motor-volt-p-841.html

That looks like a consumer product. A 5,000 hour operational life is pretty short. I wouldn't be happy changing out a motor every 7 months in a 24/7 operation.

You probably don't want to redesign the blower, but a larger diameter blower can turn at lower speed. If you really want to use three phase then that is probably the road you'll have to go down. In the end your customer will get an industrial grade blower over a consumer grade blower, might be a win/win (unless the replacement part revenue stream is good.)

Maybe a side channel blower.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...&q=side+channel+blower&oq=side+channel+blower

Also, with three phase you can monitor the true load on the motor and use that information to detect clogs, empty bins, and provide rough information on bulk product transport rates. And unlike the single phase motor its speed won't wind up high when a blockage occurs or when load drops.

Last edited:
Hello!

The 5,000 hour operational life has seemed to suited well so far. The motors only run about 10% of the time on a 24/7 schedule.

The blower is attractive to us because of the small size, we are considering a redesign soon, but would like to use something with a similar footprint for the near future. The RPM is quite high and to find something a similar size in 480VAC may be a challenge.

TIA,

Greg

If you want to stick with the same blower then can you move the transformer outside the control panel? The biggest blower looks like it has a 1.4kW motor so an external encapsulated 480x240 transformer wont be very large, about 8" high x 5" wide and about 5" deep.

We really want to eliminate the transformer, although rather small. The motor is 7.1 FLA, 1.83HP.

Running a VFD to a single phase motor (with a single phase VFD). I have never done this....What would be the caveats?

TIA,

Greg

Last edited:
You can get a 3-phase 480 volt drive and run it with only 1-phase 480 volt input power. The output will be 3-phase 480 volts (because the VFD generates it own 3-phase power from some charged DC capacitors), but reduced in power. There are also drives rated for 1-phase 240 volts in and 3-phase 480 volts out.

I guess that won't help, because you would really need a 3-phase input and 1 phase 480 volt out.

Last edited:
Hi Lancie,

Yes, I have done that in the past. What I need to do here though is backward from that. I have 3 phase 480 supply, and need 230V single phase to the motor....

Greg

There are lots of companies that make this type of vacuum blower for industrial uses. I suggest contacting some of the following with your application:

Gast
Rotron
Spencer Turbine
Thomas Industries / Gardner Denver

In the Milwaukee area Squire Cogswell (Pewaukee?) is a distributor for this type of product.

Hmmmm, thank you Tom. I will check these resources to see if they if they have something that could work.

Alternatively......Can I take a 480VAC 3 phase input to a VFD, and set the output to 230VAC....disable loss of phase detection.....and run this? If so, the motor is 7.1FLA, how would I rate or derate the drive?

TIA,

Greg