1756-EN2T error detection

taylor1982

Hello,

our machine is connected to the customers plant network with an 1756-EN2T network card. With this card the customer reads direct some required tags in PLC memory.
Now the customer told me that this ethernet connection was faulty. He had a look into the switch cabinet and detected a red LED on the ethernet card. Unplug/plug again could solve the problem so far.

My question now is: Is there a software solution (with GSV,...) to detect when the EN2T is in error state so I can display an error message? Maybe there is an information when the card is connected to a network (cable connected) and has no internal errors.

Many thanks!

Stefan

taylor1982 said:
...My question now is: Is there a software solution (with GSV,...) to detect when the EN2T is in error state so I can display an error message? Maybe there is an information when the card is connected to a network (cable connected) and has no internal errors...

To automatically detect a simple fault state, for 1756 Communication Modules, you can access the OK LED status by means of a CIP Generic Message. You can then use the resultant state to flag a HMI message or alarm...

33686 - Getting the status of 1756 Communication module with CIP Message
Access Level: TechConnect

Using a GSV instruction, you can read the fault code out of the module...

45747 - Obtaining the fault code from 1756-ENBT with GSV instruction

Or, also using a CIP Generic Message, you can access the Diagnostic Counters...

22421 - Obtaining the Diagnostic Counters in a 1756-ENBT, EWEB or EN2T

Regards,
George

To automatically detect a simple fault state, for 1756 Communication Modules, you can access the OK LED status by means of a CIP Generic Message. You can then use the resultant state to flag a HMI message or alarm...

33686 - Getting the status of 1756 Communication module with CIP Message

Thank you for that!
That seems to me to be a proper solution. The knowledgebase only describes to get the status of the "OK LED". It´s also possible to get the LINK and NET status?

taylor1982 said:
...It´s also possible to get the LINK and NET status?

Yes for the LINK, no for the NET.

Unfortunately the NET LED does not have an accessible object.

For the LINK LED...

22261 - Ethernet Devices: How to obtain Port Status or Link Status via CIP Generic MSG

For the HMI, as well as the alarm message, you could also create an object to mimic the OK and LINK LEDs with colour and blink attributes.

One thing to consider here in all of this is that if the communications link from the controller to the HMI is via the faulted Ethernet module, then the HMI cannot read the module's LED status tags.

Regards,
George