RTFM and PanelViews

GlenGineer

I recently had a problem communicating with a "Standard Panelview" more specifically a panelview 550 (keyboard) and a panelview 1000 (color keyboard). I googled my problems. Although there were answers, in this case (rarely enough), the best answers came from the Allen Bradley manuals. The first time I tried to connect with the panelview I tried it with the "normal" SLC RS232 cable. That mistake resulted in my final solution - I had to solder my own cable and connections for a special cable. Also I did not know that to program my panelview I could use the print port. I thought that was solely for printing or for controlling other output devices. I had actually tried it previously but the settings for the printer port needed to be set to disabled (oh and the correct cable was needed.) Just a tip for those of you whose company are still using Y2K products like mine.

Also I looked into the alternative of loading the program through a memory card. I first tried an ATA type memory card (to take the program off). This did not work. So I bought the Allen Bradley version - I thought it must have been the older version that required the Linear type of PCMCIA card. Later I did the RTFM thing and found out that it was the ATA style of PCMCIA card I needed. This did not keep me from downloading the panelview files but it did not let me load a new program onto the card.

All things eventually worked out for me but I figured I might impart my experience to those yet to come across these problems. Remember before asking questions google it and RTFM it...Just my thoughts

Glen