Ethernet solution required

Spanner_zn

Hello All, I would like some advice please.

I have installed an Elster A1700 electricity or power meter that I would like to connect to a Siemens ET 200 remote IO rack for monitoring purposes only.

The information that I have on the A1700 is that it comes standard with Ethernet comms. it doesn't say whether it's standard ethernet or industrial ethernet. I understand that any IO card that I use would be industrial ethernet.

If the A1700 is standard ethernet are standard ethernet and industrail ethernet compatiable?

What would be the best IO card to install in my rack?

Does it matter at which location I install the IO card in the rack?

Thanks,

Ok, but the attached brochure says ethernet is available.

If not, what would be the best proticol to use RS485 or RS232?

Then what converter would I use to convert this back to profibus DP?

Does the Elster unit support Modbus RTU ? (edit: The brochure mentions "Modbus Converter").
And is it ET200S ?
If that is the case, you can add a serial interface card 1SI to the ET200S rack, and connect this to the Elster unit.
The big problem is how to interpret the protocol IEC 62056-21. I dont think there is a library for that in Siemens.
edit: The brochure just mentions "Ethernet" once. No descriptions. I am guessing it has RS232 and RS485 onboard and you need some kind of converter to get to Ethernet.

The alternative is to use a Siemens SENTRON PAC3200 energy meter for which there are both Profinet and Profibus DP communication modules. I would prefer to go down this path.

Last edited:
From what little I can find it looks like while the device does have an Ethernet port but it’s for a “meter reading” protocol (IEC62056-21). So you need to bridge between IEC62056-12 to Modbus/TCP (or RTU if you want to do serial).