VM to PLC communication

xylozium

Hi,

I am using RSLogix5000 installed on a virtual machine (VM). I am able to (remotely) access all PLCs connected to the Network that the VM is connected to.

However, if I plug-in an Ethernet connection from a PLC outside of the Network to my PC (which is connected to the Network), no communication is being established.

I am currently using the Windows Remote Desktop Connection to login to the VM. Is there any other VM software I am supposed to use for this purpose? Any suggestions?

Following is the connection flow I require:

PLC (outside Network) <--> Ethernet <--> my PC <--> VM software <--> Network computer having RSLogix software and licenses.

Thanks !

I had a similar setup once and accomplished what I think you are asking....

I assume the physical computer you are using to connect to the virtual has two network cards?

Network 1: wireless or wired to network with VM
Network 2: from physical computer to PLC

How you can get the VM to "see" the PLC is create a network bridge between network1 and network 2.

When that is set up the PLC plugged into your PM will be on the same network as the VM. You will probably have to talk to your IT department to get a static IP in the same range as the VM to assign to the PLC.

Check out this
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/create-network-bridge#1TC=windows-7

Last edited: