OT: Because I'm techie

ivo.maenen

Do you like what two of my 18 year old students achieved?

Watch this video

Build from scratch: electrical cabinet, safety-relay with control of pressure, electro-pneumatics, barcode-reader (RS-232), HMI and of course PLC-programming/wiring (analog sensor in combination with a rodless cilinder for positioning).

Then go this facebook-page and see who they are.

'like' them....our school can win technical equipment.....always welcome in a public school...yet 24 hours to go.

like them

Thanks for your support!

Ivo

Last edited:
Hi Ivo,
Very good. You have included a wide variety of controls and interfaces. This is great to see. The only other thing to add is logging capability into a database.This could then be shared to the entire plant floor.
This really reflects well on you as a great teacher!

Garry
http://www.accautomation.ca

Nice.

Although I would move the loading position to the beginning so that there are only two positions for the slide. The third is unnecessary and creates extra cycle time.

I realize you're not necessarily going for that, but just an observation.

Nice.

Although I would move the loading position to the beginning so that there are only two positions for the slide. The third is unnecessary and creates extra cycle time.

I realize you're not necessarily going for that, but just an observation.

Yes, we try to make it different and more or less realistic but we don't have the time to make it more closer to 'perfect'.

The catch of this one was to find out how good a roddless cilinder is for positioning.

At this moment we have 3 units with different ways of positioning:

1) DC-motor with an inductieve sensor that counts pulses from the shaft of the conveyor belt. The first unit sorts the square blocks according to colour (white or black) or being made from metal.

2) an electrical drive: steppermotor with integrated control and with setpoints for positioning. This one places a bearing inside the square block. Also the safty-curtain and fence-guard combined with saftey-relays were a centerpiece.

3) the rodless cilinder, positioned with an analog sensor. Unit 2 places an small shaft inside the bearing. The positioning was in function of the barcode.

Next year:

4) a conveyorbelt; positioning with a steppermotor combined with an encoder. The stepper will be controled with a PLC-steppermotor-card. And some of the IO should be wired into an Ethercat-IO-module. At least if the budget of our school will be mercyfull for us:wish:

At this moment we've also got 3 Rockwell Ethernet/IP-IO-modules from a big companey. We also would like to integrate them into the Beckhoff-Ethercat-network.

In two years time:

the 4 units should work together (plc-communication) with the electrical drive as centerpiece for the positioning.

By the way; we've lost 1287/1327...only 50 likes;)

Guys,

I'm sorry to say we've lost by only 50-likes (1287-1337). I saw that people from this forum liked what me students did and indeed 'liked' them.

So thanks for your support.
(y)

By the way:

if your company ever breaks down a production-line think about your local technical schools. I'm sure they will be very happy with every hardware they can get: motors, conveyors, invertors, contactors, breakers, plc's.....

Regards,

Ivo Maenen

Back
Top Bottom