Generating revenue from remote access services

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
Are their any OEM's or contractors here selling this service to customers? How do you bill your services? Yearly service contract? Integrate it into a a existing PM service agreement? Lease the equipment or just flat out sell it and if their service contract expires you don't log into it when they have issues until they renew the contract? Minimum hours per log in? Alarm data logging for a preventive maintenance plan?

Sorry that was a loaded question. Just trying to throw some ideas together on how to bill the services. Thanks

I've always just billed my clients my regular hourly rate for remote access services. Of course, that would often include some additional offline time for development if they needed significant program changes. The cost of making their systems remotely accessible was typically included in the overall system cost when building the project. I've never really thought of trying to sell remote services to someone who wasn't one of my clients to begin with. I'd be leery of working on a control system remotely if I wasn't intimately familiar with the system.

I may be a bit of a mercenary, but ....
1. Charge when building the machine to include any hardware required for remote access.
2. Add a monthly service to charge to have someone available.
3. Add a per incident charge for each incident, at a per hour rate with a minimum billing per incident.

Your mileage will vary.

I may be a bit of a mercenary, but ....
1. Charge when building the machine to include any hardware required for remote access.
2. Add a monthly service to charge to have someone available.
3. Add a per incident charge for each incident, at a per hour rate with a minimum billing per incident.

Your mileage will vary.

I was leaning toward all of these suggestions but doing a yearly fee vs monthly. We have a general service and preventive maintenance plan that we sell and I may try to integrate the remote access into that plan and increase the price accordingly.

I may put something alarm data logging and analyzing as an option on the contract. Maybe use the retrieved alarm data to predict future failures to reduce downtime would be a good selling point.