Rslogix 500 CPU in fault condition?

Saudi jamal

Hi guys,
Kindly could you guide me how to reset the CPU fault. Run indication led not getting on. Always its fault led flushing.
Kind regards.
Jamal.

Jamal, you need to go on-line to the processor to see what the error is and reset it from the software, if you don't have a hardware fault, but when you go on-line you will be able to see the error list
I don't have the software to give you some screen shots

Is the Battery LED on too? If so you may have lost the program when unit was powered down & the PLC reset itself to DEFAULT.

Saudi jamal said:
...Kindly could you guide me how to reset the CPU fault...

Jamal,

Kindly could you tell us which "CPU" it is you need to "reset"?

My Guesstimator™ is telling me it's an SLC controller, but it could be a MicroLogix controller? It has been acting up lately.

Please provide the full catalog number for this RSLogix 500 based controller. That way we can give you more specific advice.

Regards,
George

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for your reply me.suddenly our biscuits creamer m/c stopped. I checked and found SLC 500 CPU 1747-L542 SERIES C has gone fault mode.I try to reset by power on/off but no result.Then I replaced the CPU by new and download the backup program and observed m/c working good.
Now my question is I don't know how to check online
CPU error.Why CPU has gone fault mode? What reason? How to reset it by software.
Dear Mr.George, many thanks for your remember me.
Up to now I was not able to establish communication between windows 7 and Micrologix 1000. No problem, still I am trying.
Regards.
Jamal.

... how to check online
CPU error.Why CPU has gone fault mode? What reason? How to reset it by software...

In RSLogix click COMMs, Go Online - it will upload whatever program is in there & ask you if you want to go online - click YES.

Where it would show RUN mode it will be red & read FAULTED, click on the red box, select Go To Error (NOT Clear Error) & the processor status will appear with the fault listed that shut down the PLC. From there you can clear the error after you see what it was (could be as simple as a bad IO card that needs replaced.)

If the fault is due to a dead battery & the PLC lost the program you will get the error message that the PLC is in DEFAULT & you must download a program to it.

Thanks Aabeck,
When my machine will be stop them I will fixed back faulty CPU and then I will go online
And I flow your instructions.
Best regards.
Jamal.

Saudi jamal said:
...Dear Mr.George, many thanks for your remember me.
Up to now I was not able to establish communication between windows 7 and Micrologix 1000. No problem, still I am trying...

For clarity in this thread, that comment is in relation to another thread...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=95747

---------------------------------------------------------------

Saudi jamal said:
...When my machine will be stop them I will fixed back faulty CPU and then I will go online...

If you have a spare SLC chassis lying around you could power it up on the bench and have a look see while waiting? It may present I/O Configuration Mismatch errors when you power up, as the running modules would not be present, but you could ignore them while viewing "other" faults. That is of course as long as the actual fault was not an I/O Configuration Mismatch error! That would get confusing...

Maybe wait? :oops:

Regards,
George

George,
Thanks for suggest. I will look for another spare SLC moudle so that I recheck the faulty SLC CPU.
I am sorry to ask you again what do you mean i/o configuration mismatch for which CPU.
Do you mean newly replaced CPU?
Please guide me. Now I am in confused.
Regards.
Jamal.

"i/o configuration mismatch " means the PLC program is set with a "map" of the I/O cards in the rack, and the actual I/O cards may be different

IE: 16 AC TRIAC output card may have been replaced with a 16 Relay output card - same program addresses & operation, but the configuration is different & will fault the PLC.

...I am sorry to ask you again what do you mean i/o configuration mismatch for which CPU.
Do you mean newly replaced CPU?
...Now I am in confused...

Sorry, I meant for the faulty CPU.

In line with Aabeck's explanation...

The SLC controller that is in fault was in operation in a chassis with other 1746 I/O modules. These modules were added to the RSLogix 500 program's I/O Configuration by selecting the correct modules and adding them to their equivalent slot numbers. Once they have been correctly added to reflect the physical I/O configuration of the chassis, the program is verified and Downloaded to the controller.

When the controller is placed in Run Mode, the processor checks the I/O Mapping. This must match exactly with the physical chassis configuration. If the program's I/O Mapping is in any way physically missing or misaligned, an I/O Mismatch error xx52h occurs.

The point I was making was that if you test the processor in an empty chassis, where none of the original I/O modules are present, it would fault on I/O Mismatch. This could then mislead you into thinking this is your original fault.

There is an option to set the I/O Slot Enable bit off (0) for each of the used slot numbers. This is done under the I/O tab in the processor Status file. This would force the processor to ignore the disabled slots when checking the I/O Mapping.

While that is a useful feature, it's not much use to you here as you would need to Download the slot disable changes to the controller. You cannot Download to a faulted controller. You would have to reset the fault before doing so, but this would mean first clearing the very fault you want to identify.

But while I'm spitting all that information out, I've had another thought...

I cannot remember, but I'm pretty sure that if you power up an already faulted SLC processor, in a foreign chassis, it will still retain its last fault even if there is now a newer fault condition. I think this is the case because the CPU is not running when it is faulted. So it cannot perform an I/O Mapping check and throw a newer xx52h error?

So perhaps an I/O Mismatch would not be an issue after all?

Sorry for my meandering and the added confusion.

My brain sometimes runs away with itself, but judging by the postcards, it always seems to have had a good time.

Regards,
Confucius