Micro Logix 1400 to Power flex 525 Drive Ethernet communication regarding

saravanssk

Hi,
How to configure Powerflex drive to Micrologix 1400 through Ethernet TCP/Ip or Modbus TCP. Is it any particular modbus addresses for accessing the drive parameters. And also I need to communicate with Panel view HMi 6 inch 600 model for entering the speed reference, fwd/rev, start, stop etc., And write the Hmi Inputs to drive. Around 10 drives i need to communicate with HMI and ML1400 . Pls guide me .. Any sample files pls attach the file.

Best Regards
Saravanakumar
:oops::eek:

There aren't that many direct resources available because the Micrologix 1400 is not built to do cyclic I/O connections. For that class of processor it is better to wire up the drive controls manually and control the speed with an analog output. It can be done over ethernet/ip but this is not recommended. You can get it to work, yes, but what makes electricity dangerous is that you can do it wrong and still get it to work. But in the end, it's still wrong and only causes problems down the road.

Here's a thread that discusses the matter in detail: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=82719

I recommend you switch to a CompactLogix at the very least. If you're looking to save money, you shouldn't have gone with Rockwell in the first place.

I've seen drives controlled from a touchscreen without a PLC at all. If you're still in the design phase, I would find a drive that is capable of Modbus TCP (I don't believe the Powerflex 525 is, only Modbus RTU) and a touchscreen capable of the same. I know the C-More from Automation Direct will do Modbus TCP.

That said...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hard-wire the E-Stop. I'm sure you probably know this, but I'm taking no chances. Many modern drives have special Safe Torque Off terminals meant specifically for E-Stops. If the drive has those, use them.

Last edited:
Me said:
I'm going to start out the blocks by saying I would not recommend a MicroLogix 1400 be used to control PowerFlex 525 drives over Ethernet, let alone ten of them.

The MicroLogix controllers must use messaging to accomplish Explicit I/O Control over the drives. This is as opposed to using Implicit I/O Control, which the Logix based controllers use (ControlLogix, CompactLogix). This is what the PowerFlex 525 is really designed to use for tighter, more deterministic control.

It's not that it will not work, if done right, but Explicit messaging control is complicated and prone to errors, delays,...

I started writing the above before going to lunch. But when I came back, I saw FTttH's post and subsequent link, so I called a halt.

Ken's advice in the other thread is spot on. Don't do it. Just don't do it! Especially when you are talking about Ten PowerFlex 525 drives, not to mention the HMI. You are just begging for trouble.

It's like using one mule to pull a heavy load. While it is a capable and willing animal, the going will be slow and it will probably get there, but there will be suffering along the way.

I'm reluctantly linking the Technote that describes the setup for drive control using Explicit messaging with any of the non Implicit controllers. This is more in the hope that it will frighten you off, rather than drive you ahead...

52205 - PowerFlex Drives: Controlling via EtherNet/IP from MicroLogix, SLC, PLC5, CLX V15 and below
Access Level: Everyone

Please do reconsider a Logix based controller for this application.

Regards,
George