FactoryTalk View SE - strings in expressions

Daveyh

I'm trying to get a multistate indicator to change color based on the value of a string variable that's read from an OPC server. The string value is either "Normal" or "Alarm".
I'd think that something like this below would work, created with the expression builder, but I keep getting errors, usually "Expression contains a tag that has an error value". The tag is good as I can read that into a String Display.

I've tried numerous combinations of quotes and spaces but have yet to find the magic combination. It's all on one line, any word wrap is from the forum's textbox. I also tried breaking into 3 lines.

Thanks!

If {Network.RATCOM.3.3408.Channel Status.Channel 1 AlarmState.Value} == Alarm Then 1 Else 0

Try putting Alarm in quotes "Alarm" that tells FT it's a string. I have done it in ME version I would think it works the same in SE

Last edited:
I tried quotes (and just tried again) and get the error "Failed to resolve item’s ID ‘Alarm’ because it does not exist on any server"

If I put the same tag {Network... AlarmState.Value} by itself in a string display object it returns "Normal" so I know the tag is working.

Fixed it!! I added parentheses around the comparison and it works :)

If ({Network.RATCOM.3.3408.Channel Status.Channel 1 AlarmState.Value} == "Alarm") Then 1 Else 0