Beckhoff; Wago; Proto-X-I/O

Byron

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings everyone. I'm not sure how to call attention to a post for a particular person. Is it like Facebook where you mention the user name in the post and they are alerted to it? Well here goes:
ATTENTION: ARCHIE...
I'm tasked with backing up an existing Beckhoff system and the OEM is unknown. It is on the same machine that I am in the middle of backing up the Toshiba EX100 CPU PU11A ... waiting on a current loop adapter for that... meanwhile, doing Googling... found Automation Direct is carrying "Proto-X-I/O"
Are they the same or similar? They look identical. The AD version supports:
Ether; Dnet; :profi; and on and on...

I'd like to post some pictures of the panel and see if you could perhaps give me a quick run down on what I need to do a backup of the code for this system in case they have hardware failure, spikes, etc. And... when I make the time I am very interested in your posts on this site you have offered up on the Beckhoff systems.

It really depends on how the original programmer setup the program. As a rule, I always perform a source code download and have it setup to automatically do the download when a boot project is created. However not many people know of the source download feature and do not use it.

There are 2 main programs that need backed up. The first is the System Manager configuration:

- Connect to the controller using System Manager. The best way to do this is Choose Target->Search Ethernet->Broadcast Search
- After connection with System Manager, click the red folder in the toolbar for "Open from Target"
- You can now save this file

The other file to backup is the PLC program. The method for this depends on whether the original programmer did a source code download.

Scenario 1 - Source code was downloaded
- Open TwinCAT PLC Control
- File->Open
- Click the PLC button on the file open dialog window
- Select the type of controller. Most commonly is the x86
- Now expand down the controller in the list and select the Run Time
- The source program should now upload

Scenario 2 - No source code downloaded
This can be a little trickier because it becomes dependent on what is used for the controller
If it is a CXxxxx controller, you can remove the flash card and create an image of the card using a common flash card reader
If it is a PC, you will need to use some kind of imaging software to make an image of the hard drive

If you post the details on the controller type, I can give more specific details.

As for the AutomationDirect, I think that is Beckhoff hardware rebranded.

Control panel

CONTROL PANEL:
I rotated the pictures, but after uploading it is on it's side... Sorry. Turn your head to the left :)
Next pics will be zoomed in...

BECKHOFF_CONTROL_PANEL.jpg

Last edited:
Your controller is a CX1010. The best way to backup is to turn off the power ad remove the compact flash card. Put that card on a flash card reader to see what files are on it. It will have the complete operating system and PLC program. If there is a NK.BIN file, then it is a Windows CE model. The WinCE model can be completely backup up by simply copying all of the files from the flash card.

If it does not have the NK.BIN, then it will be a full windows embedded. The best way to back up is to use a disk imaging software. This is so you can get the full boot sector.

The Beckhoff servo drives are controlled over EtherCAT, so their configuration is also contained on the same flash card.

Archie- you said, "If it does not have the NK.BIN, then it will be a full windows embedded. The best way to back up is to use a disk imaging software. This is so you can get the full boot sector."

I use EASE-US disk cloner for my computer backups- sector by sector makes a complete backup of the hard drive- the O.S. and ALL of the software licenses. Does that sound reasonable? I never tried it with flash drives or cards... interesting...

So what if I wanted to go online and monitor like a "real PLC" situation, you know like AB or GE, AD, etc...

EDIT: I followed some of your URL LINKS and am looking at some of your videos. Wow! Thanks! And... some of the other threads on this site.
SO... slightly off topic: what about Automation Direct Protos X I/O anb Wago? Are they Beckhoff made and branded as Protos X I/O and WAGO? Or ??? <IOW> I'm wondering if the software and components are interchangeable.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Field_I-z-O

From what I was once told, but never have been able to confirm, is that Beckhoff and Wago worked together on the original series of terminals. Beckhoff made the electronics and Wago made the casing. They would then put each of their names on the same hardware. There is evidence of this because the older K-Bus terminals of the 2 companies were directly interchangeable. At some point they must have went down different paths.

Looking at the hardware design of the bus couplers, I am quite sure the Protos X IO is name labeled Beckhoff hardware. Since they sell a bus end terminal and say it is required, I am guessing they are based on the K-Bus system. The Beckhoff EtherCAT (E-Bus) terminals do not require an end terminal.

Based on your pictures, your terminals are EtherCAT (E-Bus) which are not interchangeable with the Wago or AutomationDirect.

As for connecting to your Beckhoff CX-1010 as you would on the other more common PLCs, you will require the source code. If the original programmer did you a favor, he would have did a source code download which would allow you to upload the source and go online.

The first step to getting online would be figuring out the IP Address of the controller. If it is DHCP, then you would just set your laptop to DHCP, plug into the controller and wait about 3-4 minutes for both to acquire a default address.

One way to quickly find it is to plug a DVI monitor and USB mouse into the controller, then go about like getting your IP from any normal PC.

Dvi-i port questions

Will an adapter work? I have an extra flat screen monitor with a VGA plug on it. I was hoping to just plug it in with an adapter? And a standard USB mouse?

Beckhoff_DVI-I_port_questions.jpg