HMI/SCADA with SQL Database

noxcuses

I'm starting a project that will connect our ERP system to the plant floor machinery. I need an HMI (or SCADA) software that has the ability to work with a SQL database without too much trouble. I've looked at Inductive Automation's Ignition software that looks good, but not looking to spend 70K+ on a server license. I've used Wonderware Intouch, RSView32, iFix, and others with databases many years ago and remember it was a pain.

Has anyone used something that will insert, update, select from SQL server with ease?

This is done by quite a few users (including myself) of AdvancedHMI with all software at no cost. It does take about 5 lines of code, but once you learn the pattern it is quite easy to do. It's code base is all .NET code, so there are hundreds of thousands of users that can quickly give you help with it.

I've done a number of projects that retrieved recipes from SQL Server and stored historical data back to it. If you're interested, I can give you plenty of examples on how to do it.

Eventually there will be a module to encapsulate the database interaction, so it will be able to be done without writing a single line of code.

I would avoid Wonderware MES like the plague, and I speak from experience. I did a large job using their Work Order Tracking software. The SQL database and the engine that drives it is solid and never had a problem. But, System Platform and the the ActiveX modules you drop into it are HORRIBLE!!!! I have been doing Wonderware for 30 years and I have never had a Hot Fix. With this program we had 12 Hot Fixes and 4 bugs outstanding that they couldn't even fix. Problem is they bought that MES module from a group back east. Now all the programmers are gone and nobody knows how to fix the thing. Now that was MES 3.1 and I don't know if its been fixed or updated. Just my warning about it.

I was including the MES modules.. The standard server license appears to be 12K. Have you used Ignition? What do you think?

You will first have to define the ERP integration functionality.
Each Ignition MES module could be purchased separately depending of your needs; also, each additionally purchase module could be "plugged-in" into an existing Ignition Gateway which could be updated at any time to a different activation level without any tedious software installs; unlimited clients and tags with/above "The Works Limited" ($7215.00 List).
I'd really explore the Ignition solution; it might be exactly what you are looking for.

I'm starting a project that will connect our ERP system to the plant floor machinery. I need an HMI (or SCADA) software that has the ability to work with a SQL database without too much trouble. I've looked at Inductive Automation's Ignition software that looks good, but not looking to spend 70K+ on a server license. I've used Wonderware Intouch, RSView32, iFix, and others with databases many years ago and remember it was a pain.

Has anyone used something that will insert, update, select from SQL server with ease?

Definitely don't need Ignition MES features to do this. You could start with a 5 client license just to get started and spend ~$7000, then once you see you like it bump to the unlimited and be done with it. Hell, use the demo feature and build/test your app before buying.

Ignition was built to talk to databases. Nobody else is easier. Toss in reporting, transaction groups, python scripting and a slew of other features it's an easy sell.

I have an upcoming project with Ignition, and there has been no time for me to use the 28 day trial which already expired, but the sales guy who has been in contact with me offered to unlock another trial period for me without me even asking.

I have an upcoming project with Ignition, and there has been no time for me to use the 28 day trial which already expired, but the sales guy who has been in contact with me offered to unlock another trial period for me without me even asking.

Yea I wish some of the larger players like Rockwell and Siemens would follow Ignitions lead on customer service and satisfaction on their product offerings and licensing.

The industry would be in a much better state IMHO.

Greetings,

You may want to consider the means to connect to the SQL database first and then select your HMI.

What I mean by this is that if you look at utilizing something such as Kepware's OPC server and their ODBC driver suite, then you can look at any OPC client that will meet your overall requirements.

More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/ODBC_Client_Driver_OPC_Server.htm

If you are requiring more than one additional driver suite for your controllers, then you would be able utilize the Manufacturing Suite bundle that would provide you access to all of their standard drivers. More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/kepware/serverbundles-ms.htm

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized Kepware distributor.

I was including the MES modules.. The standard server license appears to be 12K. Have you used Ignition? What do you think?

You don't need/want the MES modules for this. The Ignition "The Works" package for $12,512 will give you unlimited licensing and will likely exceed your expectations.

$12.5K vs. free for Advanced HMI ... hmmm

I get it. If the Advanced HMI does what you need use it, it looks like a nice package to me. I see the Ignition package as a $12.5k replacement for $500k worth of FactoryTalk software - with no limits one Ignition license is typically all a facility needs for all of its projects. The value it provides far exceeds its price and support is available if needed.

From my brief review of the Advanced HMI website it looks to be more of an HMI than a SCADA. You would need to determine what kinds of data collection and analysis the product can handle. Many HMI products offer no way to display tabular data even if they do offer a way to record it. Supporting the install base can also be an issue. Ignition pushes updates to the clients automatically from the developer - no need to transfer runtime files to the clients or make software updates to the clients.

Last edited:
I suppose you have never purchased a bottle of water?

Actually, I have not - water falls out of the sky for free but costs more (sometimes) than gasoline. I simply refuse to pay exorbitant costs for bottling a very inexpensive commodity.

Now, beer is another matter altogether ...