FIFO Load/Unload in RSLogix 5000

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just want to make sure I have this straight.

I have 7 saws all in line, each with a valve and pneumatic cylinder to move it up or down. I will have 3 or 4 different configurations to assign based on the type of log I'm cutting. Each valve is assigned a bit in an INT. So down, down, down, up, down, up, down will be 1110101. Each configuration will have a momentary switch assigned to it. As the log is traveling on the infeed chain, the operator will decide which configuration to use and press the button, which will MOV the INT into a temporary register. When the log is kicked into the deck and the chains advance, I will FFL the temporary register into a FIFO with 4 "positions" and FFU the previous configurations into their new "stage". At the third stage, when the encoder for the deck chains =90, the current FIFO Stage 3 will be activated and the saws will move into position. The fourth stage will unload and the entire cycle will continue each time the deck is advanced.

Do I understand the concept correctly?

I ended up dropping the FIFO and using 4 COP instructions in parallel. This greatly simplified the operation. Thanks for the tip though.