GE Series One CPU105

rhoog

Hi all,
My ex-employer contacted me today about a project I had done when I worked there in the early 90's It's been such along time (ancient history as far as plc's go), but it involved a GE Series One with a CPU105 processor. My ex-employer saya the "CPU" led is blinking. I'm just curious, does anyone remember what this means? I'm sure the backup battery has probably never been replaced, but it seems to me there was a seperate led for battery failure. Its been to long ago and all my old Series One documentation is long gone.

Thanks,
Roger

The CPU105 certainly looks like the 305 series by AutomationDirect. Are any of their CPU's compatible? Would the documentation on them be applicable?

I didn't see anything in my documentation about the CPU LED blinking. When it is ON, it indicates a problem, either a watchdog timer timeout or low DC voltage level. My guess would be a power supply problem. When the PLC goes into RUN mode, the voltage level drops, lighting the LED and dropping the PLC out of RUN. Once it goes out of RUN, the voltage level goes back above the threshold level, turning off the LED, letting the PLC go back into RUN, and the cycle repeats ad infinitum.

The CPU105 is pretty much the same as the Automation Direct D3-330.

A GE 610CPU105 is exactly the same as an AutomationDirect D3-330.

A blinking CPU light is almost invariably a power supply problem. Once in a great while it will indicate a CPU fault, but it is usually the power supply failing.

Steve's, explanation is right on the money.

I hope I don't sound like too much of a nitpicker, but the reason I said the CPU105 was "pretty much the same as the D3-330" is that the CPU105 only had 1700 words of memory, where the D3-330 has 3700 words. The GE Fanuc CPU106 had 3700 words.

When Koyo and GE Fanuc went their seperate ways, and TI took over marketing the product, Koyo stopped offering the smaller memory versions.

Actually DirectSoft will read and write programs to a GE610CPU105 and a GE61CPU106 quite well. You will need PC-PGM-305 (or PC-PGMSW), a D3-232-DCU, and a D3-DSCBL-2.

Directsoft will not however, read or write programs for the GE610CPU101, GE610CPU102, GE610CPU103, or GE610CPU104.