CompactLogix Clock Reliability

BPyles

I have a pin stamper to stamp a serial number & barcode onto parts.

The serial number contains date and time among other things. Is the compactlogix clock reliable enough? Things that come to mind are if the power goes out and it loses the time setting. Also, I want to eliminate a step when replacing the PLC if it craps out. I don't trust the technicians to properly set the time. This is crucial to have proper date & time to track parts for recall/waranty purposes.

Are my concerns valid? Are there any ways to use an external clock?

I never used this so I am not sure if it is for this purpose, but when you install RSLogix5000 there is an option for a Logix5000 Clock Update Tool. After a quick look at it, I get the impression that its purpose is to keep the PLC clocks synced.

I never used this so I am not sure if it is for this purpose, but when you install RSLogix5000 there is an option for a Logix5000 Clock Update Tool. After a quick look at it, I get the impression that its purpose is to keep the PLC clocks synced.

Archie,
Looks like you are right...I will try to set up the tool to update the clock a few times a day and set it up on one of the technicians laptops so when they log in it will upadate

thanks!

If the PLC is networked on an ethernet network, and a PC that is always on the network can communicate with it, then install the Clock Update tool on that PC..it only needs RSLinx to point to the PLC to be able to communicate with the PLC.
You can setup the clocl update to many times as you want then...

The clock update tool is good, but be careful if you are using any CIP Motion with that processor (Kinetix drives on Ethernet/IP for example). The clock update tool can break the connection to the drive.

The clock update tool is good, but be careful if you are using any CIP Motion with that processor (Kinetix drives on Ethernet/IP for example). The clock update tool can break the connection to the drive.

Thanks,
I do have a powerflex VFD...Do you think it will effect that? It would be more for kinetix right?

Just for a future reference pertaining to the clock in a ControlLogix....

In AdvancedHMI Version 3.98s, 2 new functions have been added to the CLX driver:

ReadClock
SetClock

The set clock can be used to update the date and time, but one thing to note, it only sets the time and not the Time Zone nor whether daylight saving should be active. The function is intended mostly for the purpose of keeping a PLC clock in sync with a computer. If your PLC is completely reset, it will only set the clock to UTC time, but not to the correct time zone.