PF525 Safety Status Read

Jayden

Hi Everyone,

I have some Powerflex 525 Drives using the Safe Torque Off Function. Id like to know if and how I can read via my control logix PLC when the Drive has stopped due to open circuit on the safety terminals. The Ethernet comms, safety function, and some Data links are already working fine, just not sure on to read the safety status of the drive.

Any Ideas?

You will not quite be able to "read the safety status" of the drive by monitoring the drive itself.
That being said, if the Safe Torque-Off functionality has been properly implemented (according to the manufacturer's instructions- Page 228 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/520-um001_-en-e.pdf), you could monitor the state of the device monitoring the safety external circuitry.
I have always used some sort of MSR safety relay Safety Outputs to generate the required Safety Inputs of the VFDs; monitoring the state of the MSR will literally translate into monitoring the VFD's Safety circuitry.

Hi Dmargineau. Yes I am using a safety relay as per instructions. I'm using one safety relay to control a number of drives. Its a pity it cant be done as it leaves open the possibility of unidentified faults in the event of wiring faults or the safety part of the drive becoming faulty. I guess the best that can be done is monitoring the relay as you mention and relying on a fail to energise alarm.

Thanks for the help.