I/O Wiring

ladderlogix

Hi,
I have a simple question regarding I/O wiring. I'm using a 10 slots rack, with 1 SLC 5/03 CPU, 3 input 1746-IA16 , 4 I/O 1746-IO12, and 1 Analogue inputs 1746-NI4.

I have two sets (boxes) of I/O switches to similate my project, each one has hot (L1) and neutral (L2). I would like to use for the first set (box) two IO12 and one IA16, and for the second set (box) two IO12 and two IA16.

The question is that can I connect the hot (L1) to the VAC-VDC of the first slot (IO12) and the neutral (L2) to the AC-COM of the third slot IO16 using my first box, than connect the hot (L1) to the VAC-VDC of the fourth slot (IA12) and th neutral (L2) to the 7th slot (IA16) using the second set (box)?

I'm using RSlogix500 as software

Many thanks,

Regards

You can divide up the power source any way you want as long as you observe voltage limits and don't reverse polarity. Tie the first box of switches to the first 3 cards. Jumper the L1's to each other, then jumper the L2's to each other. Do the remaining 4 cards the same way with the other box. Then tie your switches to their respective inputs. To be on the safe side, use a GFCI outlet and have a 250ma fuse feeding each box.

The answer is, it s probably OK. We use common power to multiple output cards and common netral to mulitple input cards all the time.

Draw a good schematic of the system, including the I/O cards. As with any circuit diagram, make sure that their are no shorts and that you are using the associated line/neutral for each load. (In other words, if you are feeding some input circuits from a control transformer inside your panel, and other input circuits from a 120 VAC exteral source, you should not tie the two neutrals together unless you are positive they are both grounded properly.)

A-B has separate manuals for each type of I/O card. They can be downloaded from their site. They are not the easiest to use, but they do have wiring diagrams in them.