Runtime on/off Click PLC

Colomboj

I am running a Click Koyo (Automation Direct) PLC with an EZ Automation Touch panel, Modbus RTU protocol. Using a 24 hour clock, I have operator input for time (in hours) for the recirculation motor to run (on/off). The problem is I can only get the one input (run time), which in turn is running the motor too long, and occasionally popping the breaker.

I was wondering if there is a way to have multiple run times for this one output, and how do I go about doing that? Drum instruction? Any way? I would like to be able to input at least two run time (i.e. 8:00 -12:00 pm, then 16:00-22:00), but four would be ideal.

New to Ladder Logic, and all the rest, but I am willing to learn. No, I am not a student, and not looking for help with homework (been reading a lot of posts), but looking for a solution. I appreciate your help, and thank you in advance.

Use Bits to set-up time groups
  • If HOUR >= 8 and HOUR <= 12 then 8_HOUR_GROUP
  • If HOUR >= 16 and HOUR <= 22 then 16_HOUR_GROUP
Your timer setpoint will be a memory location (CURRENT_TIME_GROUP), then based on the time group you write your operator entered setpoint time to that memory location.
  • If 8_HOUR_GROUP then write 8_HOUR_SETPOINT to CURRENT_TIME_GROUP
  • If 16_HOUR_GROUP then write 16_HOUR_SETPOINT to CURRENT_TIME_GROUP

System Data registers 24-26 store time-of-day. You should be able to use that along with a compare for your multiple start times.

You can zip and post your program for specific help.

Each time span test would consist of a rung with a "Greater Than or Equal To" comparison instruction using the 'start hour' followed by a "less Than or Equal To" comparison using the ending hour. Each hour would end in a bit.

Finally thee would be a rung with each of the above bits in an "OR" or parallel configuration followed by the output.

If there will be a time span which crosses over midnight then your comparison would look different.

Hope I'm doing this right, but here it is:

(thinking I should have spend more time in the practice area!)

But again, thank you all in advance for all this help. This site is a Godsend!!!

Your code is a little confusing since, according to the rung comments of rungs 22 and 23, turning on Y001 actually turns the recirculating pump OFF.

If that is true and the start time is less than the stop time (the time doesn't cross midnight) then I would place the NC contacts of C1900 and C1901 in parallel.

Will take a look at what you said, and study it more. Thank you.

I'm thinking that I can put variable inputs into C1900, C1901? The system does work like this, but only for the one set time. Will try the parallel & see what it does.