Copper Theft Detection

bleonard

the client i work for has had a string of bad cable losses and i was asked what i could install to help detect when the cables are being cut. We have already tried camera and a few other basic deterrence methods but not have slowed them down. Switching to aluminum wire is not a option as well. The device i had found is the GSM CTP (cable theft prevention) http://gsmcommander.com/cable-theft-prevention/ Was wondering if any one has used this or something like this. if you could give me some advice or links to what is out there that would be great thanks

Last edited:
Never used anything like that. Might work pretty good if you have law enforcement or security close enough to catch them in the process.

One of the downsides might be false alarms. If you get enough of them people will stop responding to them. So you will need to make sure that the device is rock solid to avoid that potential trap.

Also never had to use something like this (Thankfully), but the device concepts seem fairly sound. This bit made me laugh...

Earth cables are yummy to steal. They are large diameter, they are exposed, and they are safe to steal without risk of electric shock. No wonder they are prime targets.

By the GSM/3G module, I'm guessing you're trying to monitor theft in some remote location. What's actually being stolen?

The manufacturer says it works by sending a signal down the wire and checking for the signal reflection from the far end. I wonder though if it would be effective if the wire were disconnected at the far end first. If the cable was all rolled up before it was cut at the close end the thief could be long gone before anyone could respond to the alarm. It would depend on how sensitive it is and what other unpublished characteristics the monitor has. I suggest you talk to the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, the copper theft problem isn't going to go away because it is just as lucrative for the recyclers as it is for the thieves.

as long as it is not for lightning protection you can put a signal on it, and check if at the far end the led lights up.
this can be done in AC and in DC.
to make it more expensive you can make it ethernet and test if the loop is good.

This is just an idea, and not related to controls, but have you guys graphed the dates and times of these thefts to see if you can find a pattern? If it has been a consistent thing you may be able to catch them by predicting them. CSI lol

I was on a site yesterday where they recently build a new substation. I was told theives were coming from over the railwy tracks and back fence and stealing the earth incomer to the substation. After 3 thefts they replaced it with cable with a black outer so it looked like a phase and now no one is brave enough (dubmb enough) to chance which 1 of 4 is worth cutting into

Made me smile

When they hit one of my places (twice) they tied cable to the wire first, tied that to the hitch of a car and then just hit the gas. No way any alarm is quick enough to catch that.
The way we figured that our was that when we pulled it after the first time we secured it in each pull box and this time the cable broke and it was left behind. Still did lots of damage.

One cell vendor I work with had it happen so often at one location they switched to a generator.