crimson 3.0 "smart duplicate" widget

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning,

I have built a widget and when I use the smart duplicate feature on that widget, it just copies the previous widget and does not attempt to up the tag number. I have a list of tags named AL1-92. My assumption was that in these cases, the smart duplicate feature would up the tag by 1 each time smart duplicate was initiated? perhaps the smart duplicate feature is not that smart? Am I missing something?

This is what the manual says:
DUPLICATING PRIMITIVES
The CTRL+D key combination or the Smart Duplicate command on the Edit menu can be used to make a copy of the current primitive, adjusting its properties such that the primitive gets it controlling data from the next data item. The definition of “next” depends on the exact type of the data, with Crimson being capable of selecting the next register in a comms device, the next member of an array, or the next tag in a sequence. As an example, repeatedly using Smart Duplicate with a button mapped to Array[0] will produce a sequence of buttons mapped to Array[1], Array[2] and so on until the whole screen is filled.

I would think the naming of my tags would fall under a sequence.

Good morning,

I have built a widget and when I use the smart duplicate feature on that widget, it just copies the previous widget and does not attempt to up the tag number. I have a list of tags named AL1-92. My assumption was that in these cases, the smart duplicate feature would up the tag by 1 each time smart duplicate was initiated? perhaps the smart duplicate feature is not that smart? Am I missing something?

This is what the manual says:

I would think the naming of my tags would fall under a sequence.

It does work with a simple primitive, but binding is an explicit step in the use of Widgets. Since Widgets can use Folder Binding (one of its most powerful features), I don't see how it could "Smart Duplicate" and modify the Binding to a different Folder.

Also, it would be complicated if you had a widget that used two different tags. What would it do if you didn't have a duplicate tag for the second tag? Again, explicit binding takes care of this.

Third, what if part of the binding was the opening of a popup or details page? How would it how to "Smart Duplicate" that?

All in all, I think it is better that it not "Smart Duplicate" in Widgets.