sprinkler system

guycamer

hello i would like to know if here someone already faced the problem of automatic sprinkler system with plc? in my case i receive water from a well in order to water the garden

How big of a garden do you have? In the US you can get automatic sprinkler timers for about $50 for a 8 station unit. Unless this is a project for fun and you already have the PLC on hand you would be money ahead to just buy a timer for your purposes.

Tell us more about what you want to do and what you have on hand.

Do you mean: how to use a PLC to control a sprinkler system, or how to protect a PLC from the water produced by an overhead sprinkler?

There have been sprinkler and irrigation student projects on this site. You might find those by doing a site Advanced Search for "sprinkler" or "irrigation". Here is one long-running student project for using rain water for irrigation from 3 years ago:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=69339

Click on the "Last" page of the above link, and look at the last post #76 for a picture of the final project Siemens PLC, wiring, sensors, and containers.

Last edited:
I recently made a sprinkler controller using codesys running on a raspberry pi and an arduino uno for my RIO. The components communicate over wifi using modbus.

me too i would like do it with code sys i would like it simple because the sprinking system is only a part of my project so can i have more information about how you did it? but for me the water will come trough a given well which will be dig on the garden. thanks

If this is for a thesis and not a permanent solution, codesys on the raspberry would be a cheap option.

There are loads of tutorials online on how to program using codesys. I used the Arduino Uno with the Wireless Shield partly because the GPIO of the Pi is a little limited and I did not want to run ethernet outside. And to proof that I could do it :). I had to rewrite the arduino modbus library and used this tutorial beside that.

To the Arduino I have connected some valves through some relays. I also added temperature and humidity sensor.

Unfortunately, I updated my CodeSYS yesterday and it messed some of my code. But if you semd me a PM, I can send you my CodeSYS and Arduino code.