Micrologix 1100 Programming Doubt

tavoans

First, I'm new in this forum and I appreciate all the anwers that I'll have.

This is my problem:
I'm kind of new in my job, and my boss put me in a new project that im using this PLC Micrologix 1100. But he can't support me right now with the software Rslogix 500, and he told me that I can program this PLC "manually" with the LCD panel, but surfing the net I didn't find any subject about it. And this is my doubt, Can I program this PLC only with the LCD panel of the PLC without using the software from this PLC?, Please I need a hand with this troubleo_O

Add:
I did a ladder "program" in a paper, its like a 7 lines, using 5 inputs, 2 outputs, 2 flags and 1 timer. Can I program this kind of "program" using only the LCD panel?:unsure:, and if I can, can u provide me a manual of that?, thanks all!!

Last edited:
I think that you should forget to program the ML1100 by its onboard display.
Instead, use RSLogix Micro which can be used to program an ML1100 and is a free download:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/plc/micrologix.page

On the same page is also a free emulation software so you can test your code without a PLC.

First thanks a lot for the answer and the free software, it will help me a lot!, but I can't carry my laptop to work for politics, and my boss cant provide me a pc on work, so thats why he told me that I need to program this PLC with the LCD panel, can I program this one?, or it will be so difficult?, thanks Jesper!

I think it is not possible to program the ML1100 by its onboard display.
No mention of this in the manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1763-um001_-en-p.pdf

Maybe your boss is thinking about something like a "programmable relay". On these you can typically program it by the onboard display.

Yep, he explained to me that this PLC its something like that. I think that he doesnt know what is talking about. I need to have a serious talk with him, thanks a lot man!!

Just a side thought though, I would be leery of a job that hired me for automation but couldn't provide a computer of any sorts to actually enable you to do anything, then expect you to do something, especially if it persists past a week (give IT time to get one hooked up.) A basic PC is relatively cheap, for most programming you don't need anything fancy.

I am not sure what type of business this is but it sounds like something missed the ball park, most places I am aware of have extra computers here and there, maybe older models but usually still get the job done, slowly, but done.

EDIT: My computer at work is about 6 years old, gets the job done but not the quickest

Last edited:
None of the ML 1100s we have use the LCD screen. However I skimmed the manual and it looks like the LCD screen allows the programmer or operator to interact with your PLC program. It does not look like you can add logic through the interface.

By the way Welcome to the forum.

tavoans said:
...im using...Micrologix 1100...Can I program this PLC only with the LCD panel of the PLC without using the software from this PLC?

That is a resounding NO...

564529 - MicroLogix 1100 or MicroLogix 1400 LCD Functionality
Access Level: Everyone

Specifically, "RSLogix Micro Starter Lite" is the free edition you can use to program the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers. "RSLogix Micro" is used to program all of the MicroLogix controllers and is not free.

tavoans said:
...he can't support me right now with the software Rslogix 500...I can't carry my laptop to work for politics, and my boss cant provide me a pc on work...I think that he doesnt know what is talking about. I need to have a serious talk with him, thanks a lot man!!

I think he knows exactly what he's talking about. In fact, he appears to be fluent at it - Exploitation.

Regards,
George

Yep, he explained to me that this PLC its something like that. I think that he doesnt know what is talking about. I need to have a serious talk with him, thanks a lot man!!

No, he doesn't. And yes, you do. He's assuming just because the 1100 has an LCD screen that it can be programmed that way. Do you have a local Rockwell rep or can you at least call someone? It sounds like you may have to have Rockwell talk to him (or at least, tell him you talked to Rockwell) and tell him what the deal is. That way, it's not coming from you (and it's not, this is just a fact of life that the 1100 can't be programmed the way he thinks), it's coming from someone he can't really contradict.

He may be completely wrong about this issue but you still need to be diplomatic.

None of the ML 1100s we have use the LCD screen. However I skimmed the manual and it looks like the LCD screen allows the programmer or operator to interact with your PLC program. It does not look like you can add logic through the interface.

By the way Welcome to the forum.

Slight correction. You can interact with parts of the data table. You can change integer and timer values. You can also program the LCD with menus and everything as well (if you want to spend the time). However, you cannot look at the logic of the program itself.

That is a resounding NO...

564529 - MicroLogix 1100 or MicroLogix 1400 LCD Functionality
Access Level: Everyone

Specifically, "RSLogix Micro Starter Lite" is the free edition you can use to program the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers. "RSLogix Micro" is used to program all of the MicroLogix controllers and is not free.

I think he knows exactly what he's talking about. In fact, he appears to be fluent at it - Exploitation.

Regards,
George

Jajajaj, yep, I was thinking something like that, exploitation.

I talked to him yesterday, and I explained that I couldnt find a way to program this MicroLogix with the LCD, and he showed a face like :unsure:. So I had to find a another way, a PC. So I talked about my situation with another guy and he provided me a PC with the programs. And thats it, I fixed my problem and I have a functionally project right now!. Thanks guys for the answers and if someone ask me about the programming a ML 1100 with the LCD I will answer a big NO!. Thanks again!