Changing Preset in one timer affects another

Sergeand

RSLogix 5000. I have a set of 3 timers controlling a DO that turns a sampler valve on and off.

The first is for how long they want to sample (up to 24hrs --> 86400000ms for a preset),

The second is how often to sample (expected value is about every 5mins -->300000ms preset)

The last one is the time to leave the solenoid active. ~5sec

When I enter the preset for the first timer, it changes the preset of the second one to the same thing. These have distinct names, and since I am just writing this to show to Ops, this is a standalone routine. No other logic.

Done this a few times and it is getting weird. Also, If I set the 2nd timer to say 2000 and then change the first one to 1000, somehow it stops. Is the preset for the first timer too large and causing issues?

The presets should not affect each other. But for this to work as expected the presets should be greatest for the first one (Sample_Time), then Sample_Rate, then finally Stroke_Timer as the smallest.

Are you just double clicking on the preset and entering a new number? Or are you changing the preset from an HMI? (Or something else?)

Last edited:
There seem to be a couple logical problems in your setup. Maybe try my format. But there is nothing in there to cause the preset issues you're describing. Those issues must be coming from misaddressing in an HMI. What functions are you doing with an HMI and how do you have that setup?

Last edited:
@Bernie - the presets were orignially set largest to smallest, but I was playing with numbers when I saved to zip this.

@TimOB - The HMI isn't actually tied in to this logic, but eventually the HMI will set the Sample Rate and Sample Time. This is just a completely independent set of logic that I typed up just to jot the program down. Once I had the logic right, I would write it into the actual processor with actual addresses.

ok, this is peculiar. There must have been a glitch in the timer addressing or name. I just re-opened the copy that I'd zipped and it seems to be fine now. I must've watched it mess up about 10 times before I saved and closed to zip.