New to PLCs - Quick Question

tonexpo

Hi all,

I've recently started an internship at a manufactory, and one of my projects is to replace/update some old PLCs.

I need to gather a list of all inputs and outputs for a given PLC, digital or analog. I was wondering, is there a way to do this easily with RSLogix 500? That is what I am working with.

In short, is there a way I can export inputs/outputs from a PLC to an excel spreadsheet or something similar with RSLogix 500?

Thanks.

With you project open select>File >Report Options

Here you can select what you would like to print out in a report.

Then Select >File > Print Report

Edit: I just looked and you can print right from the options page, no need for step #2

BCS

Last edited:
Sweet. Thanks very much!

PS - Sorry if it was a dumb or simple question. I just didn't know where else to look.

There are no dumb questions, sometimes there are dumb answers.
(And I am known to give a few of these now and then)šŸ™ƒ

If you are only looking to print your I/O then uncheck every thing but Data Files on the Configuration page.
Then click on the Data File tab in the configuration tree and uncheck everything you don't want to print, and make sure what you do want to print is checked.
This way you will not be printing a report the size of a World Book Edition.
(If you are scratching you head about what is World Book... then that means I am showing my age.) (LOL)

BCS

Last edited:
Also if you have a commented program you can go to Database/Export then make a CSV and open it using Excel and you can then clean it up and make an XLS out of it.

Besides looking in the program, you should have a look in the panel to see how much space the PLC and I/O are taking up in the panel.

Take a picture of each processor and print it out. Then draw the dimensions on top of the picture for your reference as you look to replace the units. With SLC500 there is the possibility of expansion racks and if you have any, the area available in the panel might not be what you think.

Sounds like you are looking at SLC 500 stuff so most of the wires will come up from the bottom into the I/O cards. For small systems the push might be to replace with Micrologix. Most of them have inputs on the top and outputs on the bottom. If that is the case, the wires might not reach the inputs and you need to figure in time/material/labor to re-make those wire runs.

For each type of I/O make sure you note the sub type
For instance, digital outputs can be relay, or transistor (NPN or PNP) or Triac (for AC). Usually getting the exact P/N of the card will lead you to a data sheet for this information. Likewise with analog signals. Here is it even a a little more complicated because some cards will have the possibility of different settings even within the same card. Some of this shows up in setting in the program but some is only based on how the wiring is done. Schematics are your friend here, especially if they were done right.

Mostly, this is pretty straight forward if you can be meticulous about it and keep good documentation.

Good Luck

tonexpo said:
... is there a way I can export inputs/outputs from a PLC to an excel spreadsheet or something similar with RSLogix 500?...

For a spreadsheet of just the address/symbols with their descriptions you can use the Export to CSV option that JaxGTO has mentioned.

Select "Tools/Database/ASCII Export" and go to the "CSV" tab.

Leave just the "Addr/Symbol Desc." box ticked and save the CSV file to your chosen location.

You can open the CSV in excel and edit out all the other addresses except the Inputs and Outputs, and clean it up at JaxGTO advises, and add your own comments if you wish. Then print it out.

The "Print Report" direct printing method will obviously not allow you to electronically edit the list like above, but if it suits your purpose as is, then it may be the option for you?

Printing the entire program out is very useful too and we do it for all our RSLogix 500 programs here on site to keep a hard copy for reference. They can get pretty thick, but great to pull out when you're considering a mod or the like and you're eyes are screen drunk.

EDIT: Yes, if these jobs had good schematics then there should be an I/O list in there for reference?

Regards,
George