Factory talk view me application testing

PERSPOLIS

HI EVERYONE
I am trying to test an application in FTVME VERSION 6.1 . I have micrologix 1500 and panel view plus 6 400 having serial port. The same application is running at the terminal with plc ( I m using cable 2711-NC22)without any problem. My main question is what kind of cable do I use between laptop having usb port and plc to allow me to test my application .
Thank you all in advance

If you are wanting to connect your PC to your Micrologix via the round 8 pin mini din connector using DF1 protocol then you will use a 1761-CBL-PM02.

If you have a 9 pin Sub-D on your Micrologix then you will use a 1747-CP3.
Or make yourself up a Null-Modem Cable.

Look on Industrial Concepts Website and you will see they have both of these cables already made up with USB on one end for your PC.

www.PLCCable.com

If you find one that has the Serial connection on the PC side then you will also need to have a USB to Serial converter.

If you are using DH485 for a communication protocol then you will need to also have a 1747-UIC converter.

BCS

Last edited:
Here is a link to a complete cable combination package for Allen Bradley that I purchased from Industrial Concepts.

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradl...1-cbl-pm02-1756-cp3-complete-programming-set/

So far this set has been everything I needed to get communication to all my Allen Bradley devices. (With the exception of DH+ (which is an animal all of its own) and basic Ethernet comms, and all you need is a RJ45 patch cable for the Ethernet.)

This set has been a very handy addition to my toolbox.

BCS

BCS thank you for the reply.I really want to know the exact cable to communicate between pc running AB factory talk view machine edition and micrologix 1500 controller to test HMI application for verification , editing ,etc. The cable 2711-NC22 which connects MLOGIX 1500 plc to panel view plus 6 400 works great and application run ok.
I like to test the application with pc. I think I should use the same cable 2711_NC22 but probably real serial port is needed. A Usb to serial convertor works great with rslinx and rslogix 500 software but not with FTVME and controller.
Thanks for your time
Regards perspolis

If your FactoryTalk View application is using the DF1 Full Duplex protocol, you can use a general-purpose USB/RS232 adapter and a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable to connect your PC to the MicroLogix.

The 1761-CBL-PM02 cable has been around since 1995 and are used by every MicroLogix installer. If you work with MicroLogix controllers, you need one.

It can be tricky to use RSLinx Classic (for RSLogix 500) and RSLinx Enterprise (For FactoryTalk View) on the same PC when you have only one serial port. I don't like switching back and forth between drivers so I end up using two USB/RS232 converters when I have a need to do that.

If your FactoryTalk View application is using DH485 over RS-232, consider switching to DF1. You can easily switch your MicroLogix to DF1 Full Duplex with the DCOMM button on the controller. You probably don't want to go down the path of buying a 1747-UIC USB to DH485 converter unless you plan to frequently work with DH485 protocol.

LOL
Sorry must have gone into information overload. Let me break it down a bit further.

BCS thank you for the reply.I really want to know the exact cable to communicate between pc running AB factory talk view machine edition and micrologix 1500 controller to test HMI application for verification , editing ,etc.

See first line of post #2 It says:
"If you are wanting to connect your PC to your Micrologix via the round 8 pin mini din connector using DF1 protocol then you will use a 1761-CBL-PM02."

A Usb to serial convertor works great with rslinx and rslogix 500 software but not with FTVME and controller.

:unsure: Not sure why you say that?
Before I purchased the cable set from I.C. I used USB - Serial converter for everything I did AB (Except DH+ & Ethernet).
In fact the little black boxes on the cord set of the cables from I.C. are USB-Serial Converters.

The second line of Post #2 I give you the cable that will work from your PC to the 9 pin sub D ( if your ML1500 has one).
I am pretty sure that since your actual HMI is connected to the Round 8 Pin Mini Din port then you could just connect PC to your 1500 using the 9 pin Sub D with a 1747-CP3 (or any Null Modem Cable you might have laying around) and not have to disconnect your HMI. (If your 1500 has a Sub D also)

Another thought, if you don't have any of the above listed cables (and I am not 100% on this one) but if you want to use The 2711-NC22 you already have then "Put a Null Modem Adapter" on the end of it, and use it with a USB-Serial adapter or True Serial Port to your PC.

Don't know if that last one will work or not, but I would think it should.
Maybe others can clarify.

BCS

Last edited:
Thank you all for your support. I did use 1761-CBL-PM02 with (usb to serial convertor ) and tested my application on laptop while connected to mlogix controller and worked beautiful.
The problem was due to the fact that I did not select the port number correctly in RSlinx enterprise. The port number should have been selected #7 instead #1.
Regards Perspolis