Configuring a Consumed tag in RSLogix 5000

godfrey

In the Consumed Tag Connection dialog box I can not add the Producer name. I need help with how to add the remote controller in my I/O config. The remote controller is in a separate rack connected over Ethernet. I have ENBT modules in each rack. If some one has an example screen shot of their I/O config, I can figure it out. I have read the Produced and Consumed Tags document from AB. it would be nice if they had more help on this subject. I'm on Ver 20. Thanks.

You first have to add the remote Ethernet card to the local I/O tree and then add the remote processor. You have to be offline to do this.

You first have to add the remote Ethernet card to the local I/O tree and then add the remote processor. You have to be offline to do this.

Hello John,
Forgive me if I am wrong here (I am just getting my feet wet with this stuff) but would it not be possible to do this in "Program Mode" instead of being "Offline"?
I see a "Module Discovery" feature on the "Select Module Type" Tab.
How can you do a automatic module discovery if you are "Offline".

Thanks in advance for clarification.

BCS

But in ay event, you can't create Produce/Consume tags online. I've never used the module discovery. Yes you can add the Ethernet module in a running system including the processor. I believe this only applies to 1756 stuff.

I will not have the actual hardware for some time but I have to get the programming done now. I am still getting fouled up with expanding the I/O tree. I have added the ENBT card for the remote rack. But it won't let me add the processor. If anyone has done this and has a screen shot please let me know. Thanks.

You are adding a 1756-ENBT correct? After its added, a 1756 rack should automatically be below it. That's where you add the processor.

With version 20+, you should be able to do this all online. I just did this yesterday.

godfrey, it's not clear if you are talking about the remote ENBT or the local one. So starting with adding the local ENBT, after you add it, drill down to the ethernet below the LOCAL ENBT.

- right click on the ethernet icon and choose Add Module to
- add the remote ethernet module, make sure you set the slot location and rack size
- right click on the backplane of the remote ENBT module and add the remote processor, give it a name and slot location.

godfrey said:
...If some one has an example screen shot of their I/O config, I can figure it out...

Well done, but just for future reference I've attached a screenshot as requested.

In my example...

Note: When you add the Remote_ENBT under the Ethernet port of the Local_ENBT, it also adds the Local_ENBT yet again. Also, when you add the 1756-L75 Producer to the backplane under the Ethernet port of the Remote_ENBT, it also adds the Remote_ENBT yet again. This duplication of the parent module can be a bit confusing to look at.

You will notice that you cannot delete the automatically added parent module instances under each Ethernet port. This is because everything under the Ethernet ports are part of the network and must be present.

For the Local_ENBT Ethernet port - both ENBT must be present because they are communicating with each other on the same Ethernet network.

For the Remote_ENBT Ethernet port - the Remote_ENBT is added to the backplane because it resides in slot 1 of the remote chassis.

A bit confusing alright, but logically the hierarchy does make sense.

EDIT: Oh, you updated your last reply with a screenshot. Looks good!
(Just make sure you are talking to the correct "REACTOR"!!!)

Regards,
George

1756_Producer_Consumer_IO_Config.png

Last edited:
And yes, you must be offline to configure Produced/Consumed Tags...

46131 - Creating or Editing Produced or Consumed Tags Online
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George