Omron output relay problem

alphatargets

Greetings one and all.

Does anyone have any idea why the relays in an Omron OC211 output module do not function, despite the indicator LEDs saying they are working ?:unsure:

You're in RUN or Monitor mode, right? :)

I think those cards have replaceable relays, which were notoriously junk.
If there is an orange relay removal tool mounted on the back of the card,
you can use it to pull the small black cube relays out of the card, after
removing the side plate. Careful to keep the pins straight.

You could swap a failed relay with an unused output relay, if you have one,
or temporarily for test purposes in the event only one output is not working.

If none of the outputs are working, just wait longer. :)

...for a better answer.

The relays are not removable and yes, I am in run or monitor mode. The leds on the output module light when they are supposed to, but the relays do not function. I have tried a couple of different modules in case one was fried, but they all do the same.

the indicators are working apart from the relais.
how do you check the contacts , as they are available as AB or common onA8 etc
make a short programto switch them every 0.1 second you should be able to hear them.

I have been testing across Com to the outputs. There is no clicking of the relays, and no voltage on the outputs. I was reading the manual and found there is an output off bit at A500.15, but I have not figured out how to check it and if necessary change it

It it is A500.15 that is causing your problem, the INH indicator on the front of the CPU will be lit. You can turn the bit off by selecting the memory tab and opening the A memory area while online.

What is the full model number of the plc?

What are the color of ALL leds on the processor?

BTW, Omron relays (in Output Modules) are robust. Used correctly failure rate is very low!

The PLC is a CJ1M-CPU11. Power is coming in from a PD022. I have removed the input modules, and now the only module connected is the OC211. I cleared the memory and started a new program consisting of only coils that come on when the power comes on. The Run LED is Green. No other LED is lit on the CPU. The LEDS on the output module are yellow. There is no clicking and no voltage between Com and any of the outputs

Beginning to think the CPU is fried, but if the LEDs light up, why do the coils not trigger?

Forgive me if I am off base here but when you say you are testing to COM and the output, is it possible that you putting the test leads of your meter to 2 points that are of the same potential.

You need a difference of potential to measure voltage.

Instead of putting your one tester lead to Com on the card try to take it back to the other side of your control transformer or power supply and see what you get.

See diagram below.

BCS

Omron OC211.jpg

Last edited:
I was not being clear, sorry about that. The Com is wired to +ve and I have been testing between -ve and the output terminals looking for 24v.

Last edited:
I was not being clear, sorry about that. The Com is wired to +ve and I have been testing between -ve and the output terminals looking for 24v.

What is the reference Jxx Ch1 referring to? Out00 etc is clear, but the first two ?

Well then that sounds very strange indeed.
I don't see that exact terminal designation on any of the info I pull up on the Net and I am not familiar with Omron, but there has to be a logical explanation for what you are experiencing.

Just for S&G, can you please activate a couple of your outputs and check opposite of what you have been doing. Try checking from the Com + to a couple of the output terminals you activate.

This will at least put to bed a suspicion I have.

BCS

OK, no voltage between com and the outputs, and no continuity either :)

My question about the Jxx was because I was wondering if I had made a mistake in address, but that is not the case so I deleted it

Again I am not being clear. As per your diagram above, the Com on the output module is wired to 24v. I am testing between 0v and the outputs A0 to A7 and B0 to B7

Last edited:
alphatargets,

Its been a long time since I used an Omron, but here are my thoughts.

1. incorrect wiring.
2. the relays have a 1,000,000 cycle life and they have worn out or the contact arm has failed.
3. the solid state outputs are only rated for x amps and you have exceeded that amount with the surge or run current and have burnt the output out.

regards,
james

Hi James,

This is a new setup, and all loads are minor (mostly leds) The relays have never been used because I have not yet managed to get a valid contact. Someone suggested that perhaps the bus is missing power to drive the coils, but I do not know to test for that.