Unidrive SP + Digitax + ??? new system

BenE64

Hello, I am currently trying to set up a motor and servo drive for a basic milling machine head. I picked up a Unidrive SP for the main motor and to try and keep everything compatible I got a Digitax drive for the servo to control Z axis feed.

I don't want to overly complicate things, this is my first rodeo as it were. I think I can configure the drives separately to run stand alone, manually control speeds etc but I would like to have the feed controlled in geared mode to the spindle, after reading the Emerson guides I bought an EZ motion module to install in the Digitax and I need to get a extra encoder module (universal or standard?) to get the signal from the Unidrive. This is as far as I have got, I am unsure on the best way to tie it all together with a HMI or another PLC?

I basically want to set spindle speed and the set a feed ratio on the z axis, manually start and stop, reverse, eventually I would like to be able to set a travel distance then reverse to home that could be entered in the HMI then manually start the cycle ie drill a hole to set depth return to home.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go forward? I have a unitronics v130 plc spare but would rather it all controlled by one plc (EZ motion or applications plus if need be) and a hmi if that is easier to learn.

Thanks in advance,

Ben