Controllogix safety 1756-l61s do not have password - is there a fix?

sappleto

Several years ago before I arrived at my company, an integrator came in to do the automation on our system. They used a Controllogix 1756-L61S for the safety portion of the project. Apparently, when they completed the job they did not provide the source code with comments, safety password, etc. for anything and it got ugly between our company and theirs. In other words, they would not provide it if we went back to ask them. Allen Bradley has told us that we can not make any alterations now to the safety logic because we do not have the password that was used to create it. And they said there is no longer a master password that you could use like in previous controllers.

Does anybody know of any workarounds for this? Or have heard of anything that might possibly work?

My thought on this would be to put the processor back to factory default state, removing the module from the chassis and removing the battery for about 10 minutes.

You should be able to then to set up a new safety password, I believe. You'll also have to re-create the safety logic. I have not had to do this myself however.

Just a thought....
If you flash the processor to a different version, would it reset/clear the password?
You would obviously lose everything currently in the controller, but I'm making the assumption that you're able to make a backup to work from anyway.

I've never tried this, but I don't know how the safety password is stored, so I don't know if it would work or not.