Siemens Step 7 TIA Portal virgin install

kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am setting up Siemens Step 7 TIA Portal on a laptop for the first time.

Is there any tips or tricks that will keep a ton of extra process from running in the back ground and slowing down the computer when Step 7 is not in use?

I only need the software a few hours a week, I want to avoid it bogging down my computer the other 166 hours a week when the software is not in use.

I don't need or want it to start a ton of stuff every time I boot up my computer.

In my experience if you don't get it right the first time, you fight it for ever.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Hello,

I would install it in a VM in your case. Just make sure you have enough physical memory in your laptop. This way you aren't running any Siemens soft in your 166 hours timeframe ��

Kind regards,
G

+1 for the Virtual Machines.
I use Portal and Classic Step 7 as well as Scout, a bunch of different versions as well.
A bunch of VM's and never have to mess with the host.

Another tip, is to replace your HD with a SSD HD. Maybe won't help you so much for back ground processes, but it improved the speed of TIA tremendously.

I've always used VMWare, haven't had a single issue so far.
But I purchased Workstation for a small fee (money well spent).
You can install VMWare Player which is free though.

Another tip, is to replace your HD with a SSD HD. Maybe won't help you so much for back ground processes, but it improved the speed of TIA tremendously.
+1 on the solid state drives, they do make a difference.
Or if you cannot afford one make sure your spinner runs at 7200rpm

I think TIA is much less "virus-like" than the old step7. If you don't install WinCC Runtime parts or Simatic NET - PC Station and stuff like that, it won't slow you down at all...

On the other hand, when it runs it is 100 times slower than the old stuff.

VMware is great, but if you don't have a strong PC, you have to have strong nervs.. It will be slow. Very slow.

I think TIA is much less "virus-like" than the old step7. If you don't install WinCC Runtime parts or Simatic NET - PC Station and stuff like that, it won't slow you down at all...

On the other hand, when it runs it is 100 times slower than the old stuff.

VMware is great, but if you don't have a strong PC, you have to have strong nervs.. It will be slow. Very slow.

I second this. The PC boots up way faster than it did under classic. Make sure you don't install Simatic Net or the PC Station configurator unless you actually need it, that is the service that seems to make booting up suck. I limit Simatic Net to my VM.

Also, Siemens does install an auto update tool, and as of the most recent version it runs on bootup by default. In the Portal settings there is an option controlling if it autostarts or not, if you want to turn it off. Its mostly a small annoyance; it always notifies there are updates whether there is anything new or not. It does help help download the updates, however, once there is actually something new.

I also agree with the comments above, changing a HD for a SSD is probably the single greatest upgrade you can make to a PC.