Firmware ver compatibility

Nick Z

I have gotten to the point of updating the firmware for my l32e module. However the existing controller was running 20.11 and my logix 5k only has up to ver 19 when I try to download the ver 20.11 from AB and store it in a folder controlflash will not recognize it as a compatible ver in fact it doesn't give me any firmware to install the dialog box is blank no matter what I do. My Logix 5k is version 20.1 and controlflash is 12.001 so I should be good but I'm not ?????

Nick Z said:
...I try to download the ver 20.11 from AB and store it in a folder controlflash will not recognize it as a compatible ver in fact it doesn't give me any firmware to install the dialog box is blank no matter what I do...

Probably of no use here, but when it shows empty, have you tried selecting the "Show all revisions" option? Normally ControlFLASH will only show the latest firmware revision(s) for the device you are attempting to flash. Selecting this option displays all available revisions in case a user needs to flash an older revision.

Failing that, we'll move on...

What did you download and where did you put it exactly?

To verify you have the correct firmware files in the correct folder for this particular controller...

In the revision selection window, where the list is blank, the default firmware files storage location for ControlFLASH should be "Current Folder"...

Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\ControlFLASH

Or...

Windows 7:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlFLASH

If that is set correctly then go specifically to the folder...

C:\Program Files\ControlFLASH\0001\000E\004D

In this folder you should see a file named "PN-133555.nvs".

If it exists, you can open the file using Notepad (deselect "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file). You will clearly see that it is for the 1769-L32E processor. The file should list all the firmware revisions that ControlFLASH has available to it for this controller. These are in the "Identity" list under the "Major Revision" field. Revision 20 should be at the bottom, if available.

The nvs file refers to three *.bin files, as the flash is a three stage process. These bin files must also be present in the same folder as the nvs file.

If this "...\004D" folder and its files are not present, or in the correct location, then ControlFLASH cannot load the latest revision(s) or "Show all revisions".

If that does check out then we'll move on...

Nick Z said:
...the existing controller was running 20.11 and my logix 5k only has up to ver 19...

This sounds like you do not have RSLogix 5000 v20 installed?

But then you say...

Nick Z said:
...My Logix 5k is version 20.1 and controlflash is 12.001...

So, do you have RSLogix 5000 v20 installed, or not?

If all of the above is confirmed OK, then why might ControlFLASH not display all of these revisions?

Is ControlFlash v12 the only version installed?

If you installed it recently and there was already an older version installed, it does not replace it. The older version may be conflicting with the newer. You would normally uninstall the older version before installing the newer. If you think this may be the case then uninstall whatever is installed and then just reinstall v12.

Regards,
George