Pv+ communication to 5/04

bright676

I am still having problems getting my 5/04 to communicate with my PV+ 1250.

I'm trying to use DH+.

None of the status indicators on the PV+ are lite up.

The green status indicator light on the RN-6 is lite up.

The firmware on the PV+ is 4.00.11.60 (cpr 7).

The Factory talk view machine edition is version 8.00.00 (CPR 9 SR7).

The 5/04 is 1747-L541, 16K Mem. OS 401. System Channel 1 is set to DH+.

The PV + is 2711P-RDT12C C Ser A Rev

I can communicate from my PC to PV +

I'm thinking its the PV + firmware. Does any one have an ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited:
What's the magic word? :geek:

Can you please give some more detail on the configuration for Channel 1 DH+ on the SLC or a screenshot preferably.

Can you also do the same for the Runtime (Target) tab under the Communications Setup in ME so we can see which driver and device you have setup for your shortcut.

Have you attempted to configure a driver on the Design (Local) tab to communicate between your computer and the SLC 5/04?

What driver/hardware are you using to communicate between your computer and the PanelView Plus terminal? i.e. DF1 or DH+?

Just because you can see the PanelView from your computer using say DF1, does not mean the DH+ driver is configured, loaded and running on the terminal.

How are you transferring the application to the PanelView Plus terminal?

Have you checked what drivers are loaded on the terminal via Configuration Mode? When in Configuration Mode go to...

Terminal Settings>Networks and Communication>RSLinx Enterprise

...and see which drivers are installed.

Couple more questions as a by the way...

What baud rate is the DH+ network set for?

Is the SLC communicating OK with anything else on the DH+ network?

If I think of anything else I'll post back, but that should keep you busy.

Regards,
George

Thank you.

Well I did my best to answer your questions. I had to put them in a pdf file as the photos I added made it kind of big.

Thanks again.

You've answered the DH+ (Data Highway Plus) baud rate question as "19200". This is not correct and I suspect you are giving me the baud rate that is set for Channel 0 DH-485 (Data Highway 485)? Channel 1 is using DH+ (fixed) and Channel 0 is using DH-485 (configurable). These are different communications protocols so be careful not to mix them up.

From the SLC Channel configuration you provided...

Channel 1 DH+ is Node 1, 57.6k baud rate.

This is the DH+ baud rate as set in the SLC. If this is the correct baud rate for your DH+ network, then this is what the "DHPlus, DH+" driver, on the Runtime (Target) tab, needs to also be set for, is it? Right-click on "DHPlus, DH+" and go to properties. Check the baud is 57.6k and the Station Number is 0, or any valid number other than 1. The Station number is the Node Address for the PanelView and must be unique from the SLC, which is Node 1. 57.6k is the default baud rate when you create the DH+ driver, so if you didn't touch it then it should be set correctly.

There is a whole lot going on in your Design (Local) tab. This tab is purely for setting up a temporary connection between your computer and the PLC so your computer can simulate the PanelView to test your application, before loading it to the actual PanelView. Treat the Design tab as if it is the PanelView itself, but a virtual one, if you will. You do not need all these drivers and devices and most certainly do not need a PanelView added in there. This is like trying to make one PanelView talk to another. I would suggest you delete everything out of it again. If you have been adding all sorts to try to get this working then they could be compounding your problems. Nothing in the Design tab has anything to do with the final communications that will be used between the PanelView and the SLC. This is all done on the Runtime tab.

An exception to this is where the comms used for testing the application is identical to the comms that will be used in the running application. Here you can create your Design test comms path to the PLC first and then use the copy to Runtime button for convenience. But many applications would use different test comms from the computer to the PLC than the PanelView will use to the same PLC, if even using test comms.

Design = comms from your computer for testing to your PLC.
Runtime = comms on the actual PanelView to the PLC.

The 1789-A17 that you see on both tabs is a Virtual Backplane which RSLinx Enterprise uses to represent the PanelView's communications options, whether built-in ports, or added-on, like the RN6. You add drivers to the Runtime tab, under this backplane, to represent what communications method will be used from the PanelView to the connected devices, like the SLC.

On the Runtime (Target) tab, the "DHPlus, DH+" driver and "1747-L541..." device look good. But again, make sure the driver is set for 57.6k baud to match the SLC and be sure it is not Node 1. Default is 0. Also make sure the PLC shortcut has been applied to the SLC. You can double check this by clicking "Verify" at the bottom and you should get a summary of the configuration. Ignore any warnings about the Design tab. Once it says the Runtime path is assigned to an "SLC Device", that should be ok.

When you load the application to the PanelView, you instruct the transfer to overwrite whatever current communications setup is already on it. You appear to have done this correctly as you can see the DH+ driver on the terminals menu. So you now know that the actual PanelView has the correct driver loaded to attempt to connect out the RN6 to the SLC.

Unless your PanelView is also talking to something else on a permanent basis out the Ethernet port, then you do not need an Ethernet driver configured on the Runtime tab. I would clear it out, just leaving the Ethernet driver itself.

Is the "169.254.154.221 PanelView Plus 1250" on the runtime tab supposed to be the PanelView itself? Number 1, you do not need this here. Again, this is like trying to tell it to talk to itself. Number 2, the IP address is an APIPA. This is an automatically assigned IP address where no valid IP address was statically or dynamically assigned to this PanelView. If it is the current IP address of your actual PanelView, then I would also look into that. But it should not interfere with the DH+ comms to the SLC.

Are you happy with your DH+ wiring?

Lastly, the device shortcut...

On your Runtime tab you have a device shortcut called "New_Shortcut". This is the default shortcut name that View Studio assigns to a newly created device shortcut. This name is unique to View Studio and will most certainly not be the Node Name that the SLC used in PanelBuilder32. For a PB32 conversion, the "New_Shortcut", when you create it, must be named the same as the SLC Node Name that was used in PB32.

All of the tags in PB32 are pointing to some specific Node Name that represents the SLC, and when they were converted to View ME tags, this Node Name reference will have been carried over. All the ME tags now must have a device shortcut with a name that matches that Node Name. This will require you finding out the Node Name from the PB32 application and having to delete and recreate the device shortcut once again with the correct name. You cannot rename existing device shortcuts.

The other option is to edit all of the tags individually so their old Node Name PLC shortcut references now point to "New_Shortcut". That choice is yours, but depending on the number of tags involved, the best option is usually to recreate the device shortcut.

Now, it is possible that you do have good comms, or had at some stage, but all that is wrong is your shortcut for the tags are not pointing to the correct name?

Regards,
George