setting servo motor torque fault level

unsaint32

We have a servo motor that moves a traverse arm. At one point the arm got jammed and the motor kept turning and it actually bent the steel plate arm before the axis faulted out.

In Rslogix5000, in axis properties, under Fault actions, I am trying to change the custom stop action attributes to make the fault happen sooner or at a lesser torque applied.

My question is (referring to the picture attached), should I raise or lower the stopping torque value & should I raise or lower the stopping time limit?

thanks.

fault.jpg

neither

go to the limits tab

look at "manual adjust"
you are looking for Peak Torque and Continuous Torque

or in the Custom Limits
Torque Limit Positive
Torque limit Negative

WARNING
Read up on the effects of changes to these parameters in the manual
an incorrect change will cause the axis motion to become slower and possibly overshoot - especially when under load

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/motion-um001_-en-p.pdf

Note: these parameters can also be changed by using a SSV instruction

Are you monitoring the axis Torque and position error?

if not then set it up so they are monitored
- DriveMotor Tab
real time information​

you can then trend the torque and position error and write your own code to react if the torque is too high for too long