Glass bottle detection

mavrick

I was looking for some help with a sensor. I'm currently trying to detect a lug or (gap in the glass) on the bottom of a glass bottle. The only option I have at positioning the sensor is horizontal with the bottle at about 7in. of distance . I'm currently trying a Keyence distance detecting sensor but seem to get fluctuating outputs when the lug is spotted. Which in return causes the releasing orientation of my bottle to be in consistent. The gap is about 1/4in. wide and 1/4in tall. Any help would be appreciated.

use a laser and a motorized mirror, and scan the bottom of the bottle, when the laser sees the gap it can be detected with a simple cell.
on the motor you can use a sensor to zero the position and with time you can see when the gap is detected.

I have no experience with Keyence, but Wenglor has a sensor that'll do it. I'd suggest the KN55PA3 and the Reflector, which is part number RE6040BA. This sensor is made for detecting clear objects like PET bottles or glass. You can adjust the switching distance on via a small trim pot to tweak it in for your application. It's got a max range of 500mm, or about 20". You should not need some weird motorized sensor, just a place on each side of the bottle to mount the sensor and the reflector.

The page for this product is online here.

Full disclosure: I represent Wenglor in the Southwest United States. If you need additional information on the product or where to get it just PM me or make an inquiry through the website I linked.

I'm currently trying the Keyence LR-TB2000 and so far I have no luck. I get a lot of false outputs when I increase the velocity on the servo. I have also tried a banner diffuse sensor to compare the difference between the label and the bottle. I have also tried a banner fiber optic senor with absolutely no success. The diffused sensor so far is the best with no false triggers but I can't seem to get it to trigger the output in the same place on the label. I am basing all my data on the release position of my bottle after it has been oriented. What is the chance's of the kinetix 300 servo drive causing some incorrect orientation? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm tired of banging my head against the wall. The banner sensor model# QS-18 series I don't have the exact model number. Balluff mentioned using their capacitive sensor for this application.

Last edited:
As for the sensor with the reflector I can't use it in this application because I'm looking for a registration point on the bottle. thanks for the option tho.

What kind of false triggering are you experiencing? Is it a flickering type scenario? I use the LR-ZB240CB and you can filter out false flicker type triggering by adjusting the response speed which is built into the sensor. No additional programming required.

Dave

Looking at the bottom of a glass bottle is hard

We had small glass bottles to check and alway had problems due to differances in the glass