Red Lion DSPLE for MODBUS word swap

MartyMaucher

Does anyone know how to use a Red Lion DSPLE device to swap the word ordering in MODBUS holding register messages? I'm wanting to use this device in between a MODBUS master and slave to translate the big/little endian word formats between two standards.

I have the configuration software (Crimson 3) connected, but not sure if I should set up a gateway, or 2 different master/slave protocols. :confused:

Marty

redlion1.jpg

MODBUS word swap working OK.....

After spending some time on it, I got this working in case anyone needs something similar.....

Using Red Lion DSPLE000 to swap the word order from a MODBUS (over Ethernet) device that sends the high word first. Set up master and slave protocol as shown in the pic below. In the slave protocol, added a block of registers and mapped LONG blocks from the master registers to slave by dragging the right register type from the master side. Then, selected Word Ordering: Low Then High.

One other problem that had to be resolved was to set the master protocol, PM1, option: Ping Holding Register to 0 to prevent communication problems between the DSP and the MODBUS device.

The result was to convert data words from this: 1234 5678 to this: 5678 1234.

This Red Lion device will convert many different protocols and is very flexible with specific register mapping, etc. This is one example of its capability.

Marty.

RedLionDSP.jpg

Last edited: