RS emulator and remote racks

hanseriksson

Hi

im new to the emulator and im woundering how you test a program with a remote rack .have not been able to find any info in the manual about this so im hoping somebody here knows

the program i like to test has a compact logix controller 4 vfd drives 1 remote rack flex logix

Hans

The Emulator doesn't allow you to create any modules other than the simulator IO module. You can't create Ethernet modules or motion modules or any real-world I/O modules.

You could create a user-defined data type that was similar or the same as the IO modules you are using, and use that for emulation, but you can't actually connect to the drives or I/O to test their functionality.

when i switched the controller to the emulator contr the I O moduels disaperd did replase the one in the local rack with the emulator IO moduels when it comes to the remote rack can i replace them with the emulator IO mod if so what rack slots do i need to use
at the moment im not to impressed with the emulator its not that user friendly but it is the firts time im using it

Hans

RSEmulate 5000 doesn't delete the I/O configuration with ControlLogix processors. But it DOES delete the I/O configuration with CompactLogix processors. A big PITA. I wish Rockwell would address this too.

And I wish Rockwell would look at writing a proper emulator, and not just deliver a cut-down version of SoftLogix.

I know for a fact that softlogix/emulator do some things entirely differently to an actual hardware setup, which means you have to be uber-careful you don't "test" something that won't actually work in the controller proper.

I guess they figure that most people will test their software on the actual controller hardware they will ultimately be using, and use an I/O simulator like PICs. That's always going to be the preferred route when a proper emulator isn't available.