WonderWare 2014 upgrade problem

James Mcquade

Hi all,

We are in the process of upgrading all of our Wonderware 7.0 and 9.5 applications to Wonderware 2014. We have converted six ver. 7.0 applications over with no problems.

We have just converted another ver. 7 application and we are getting this error every 3 or 4 days.
Error processing ‘EvCodeGrid.ConnectWithString’ on method call (execute).
Exception 0x80040E4D: [Microsoft][OBDC Microsoft Access Driver] Too many clients.

The host pc is windows 7 64 bit with 8 GB ram and we are running a windows 7 32 bit VM with 2 GB ram so we can have backups readily available.

We have backups of this application but are required to upgrade to the 2014 version.

The version 7 application has worked for years with no issues and we also have a similar version 9.5 application that has also worked for years.

We have tracked the problem down to an update grid window we are opening to get data from an access database. We either select the data or close the window. There is a built in disconnect function programmed into this window when the window is closed.

We have also found out that the version 7 application uses SQL connections to the data base while the 2014 version uses Active X connections to the data base.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

James

Is this 2014 R2 or 2014? Be advised, there are patches out for both 2014 R2 and 2014. Make sure you have those. I am assuming you stayed on InTouch and did not migrate to System Platform.

Did any of the other applications use this ActiveX connections? Are you saying that the upgrade converted these functions to ActiveX when they weren't before?

Furbs,

1. We are using Wonderware 2014 patch 01.

2. We also do not know what the system platform is.

3. Version 7 and 9.5 does not use the active x connections to the data base as far as I know. We are using SQL connections.

We will be migrating the other applications while trying to get help with this problem.

thanks for your reply,
james

I have worked mostly with System Platform / Archestra, not InTouch. System Platform is a new HMI that vastly expands on InTouch's capabilities, introducing OOP and vector based graphics, among other things. It is really fantastic for maintaining standards and quickly producing features. It does have SQL capabilities in its scripting. I'm not sure if InTouch does by itself without using an ActiveX like you are. There may be a .dll that you can find and import to add this on. That is what I had to do to get command prompt commands to work.

IMO Wonderware has spent all their time and money investing in more features and upgrades, not in InTouch. I am curious to know what you think of your upgrade and how different it is from 9.5.

Furbs,

Thanks for the information, unfortunately we have upgraded over 40 licenses and I know corporate doesn't want to spend even more.

As I said, Wonderware 2014 doesn't allow us to use SQL connections to access our database, only active x.

If anyone can provide a solution, please feel free to share.

thanks again,
james