FactoryTalk View Studio ME V8 images

Chris Hasler

I have a project using FactoryTalk View Studio ME V8, its mostly parameter screens and P&IDs with a few valves that change colour. There is a maintenance screen which has an image showing how to disassemble some of the equipment.

It is all good until I try to change the image. Simply clicking on the image or attempting to overwrite it will crash FactoryTalk.

What I have done is this:

Deleted the original image (.PNG) from its location. (maybe a bad idea?)
Attempted to overwrite the image with a PNG that has the same name and transparency in it.
Set that transparent image to have a transparent background.

At this point the project crashed.

I now cant fix this image. This project needs to be tested and working on Monday morning.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try to get out of it?

It has been awhile since I have worked with ME. Did this crash on the actual touch screen or on your computer? It might be possible that the PNG is too large for your ME panel to handle. You should be able to get a PNG under 1 mB for sure (sometimes Paint will save it higher). If you think that might be the case, I would think there is a way to set the available RAM for testing and/or if you are using a Windows CE machine.

Otherwise when I am troubleshooting my SE system these past few months, 80% of my solutions have been to delete it and redo it (the PNG). Remove all references, including the screen, and re-import it. I've had to do that with my entire servers twice now. Even called into tech support and that was the recommended solution.

I'm not an expert, just some thoughts. Hope it helps...

Thanks for the help.
It is my computer that is crashing. The PNG is ~26kb so RAM doesn't appear to be the issue.

I have tried adding the image back to where it was, which didn't help. I have managed to delete the image by using the explorer window, and deleted the screen. This hasn't helped the issue, but the project doesn't crash at the moment.

It appears that I cannot add a file with the same name to the project, so I will need to change the file naming convention. It also appears that a PNG file with transparency will cause a crash, although it is pretty random as to when it occurs.

I don't seem to get any issues with PNG files without transparency, so I will have the images converted to the appropriate background colour. The unfortunate engineer who has to do maintenance on the project will probably curse my existence later on, but I don't have time for a rewrite of the project to properly resolve the issue.

If you are worried about the residual effects of the PNG, I would export everything, make a blank application, and import it.

On my SE app, everything is a bmp, not a PNG, so maybe converting file types would help. How did you set the background color or tell FactoryTalk which part of the PNG is a background, or did you do this in animage editor like a JPEG?