Alternative To High Priced Rockwell Software

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I work for a machine builder/OEM. We sell several large skids that are controlled by CompactLogix L33ER and the HMI is a PanelView Plus 6 1000.

I have been an AB/Rockwell fanboy for 25 years, but I am at my limit with their pricing, support and lack of advancement.

We pay 10K + a year for software keys and support, and when you call for support, you get attitude.

A 10 inch HMI with limited resolution of 640x480 for $3-4K?? I think the 640x480 resolution dates back to when I started to use RockSoft software, when we switched from Dos to Windows for workgroups.

I was looking to use a 3rd party Panel PC with RunTime ME Station, and discovered that a 250 Display key is over $4k in Canada.

We have reached our limit with Rockwell, and are looking to switch the HMI.

Any suggestions for products that I can look at?

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Routeco your Rockwell supplier also supply Red Lion G3 HMIs which are good. I would check the tag pick/browse function of any new HMI to make sure your happy with it

Siemens TP700. Screen size 7", resolution 800x480. List price around 1K € /1.1K $.
Siemens TP900. Screen size 9", resolution 800x480. List price around 1.8K € /2K $.
Siemens TP1200. Screen size 12", resolution 1280x800. List price around 2.2K € /2.5K $.
You should be able to get some discount on the list prices.
We are switching to the TP1200 as we find it a great value for money, and excellent build quality. The programming software (TIA) is not perfect, but ok.

edit: The estimated dollar prices are for US dollars. I didnt catch that you are from Canada.

Last edited:
Just a couple months ago I did a small machine with a CompactLogix L16 that had an 8" HMI. These are items used for the HMI:

IVC Display 8" Panel PC (800x600) $719
Half size mSATA SSD $100
Windows 7 Pro $130
AdvancedHMI software FREE

The display had a nice cast aluminum body. The display quality was far better than any small PanelView. Was looking for a picture of the completed machine, but couldn't find one.

http://www.ivcdisplays.com/NP-5xxA.htm

I have switched over from PanelView Plus to Indusoft Web Studio for all of my HMI work. While PV+ hardware is very tough and amazingly long-lived, the limitations of the software were holding back our machines.

The principal downside is how frequently I kick myself for not doing so sooner.

For very small stuff below six inches screen size, we use Red Lion G3.

Indusoft does have CE-based editions of their software, which have also been sold as Wonderware Compact Edition for several years, even before the acquisition of Indusoft by Schneider.

Just a couple months ago I did a small machine with a CompactLogix L16 that had an 8" HMI. These are items used for the HMI:

IVC Display 8" Panel PC (800x600) $719
Half size mSATA SSD $100
Windows 7 Pro $130
AdvancedHMI software FREE

The display had a nice cast aluminum body. The display quality was far better than any small PanelView. Was looking for a picture of the completed machine, but couldn't find one.

http://www.ivcdisplays.com/NP-5xxA.htm

Tagged for easy future find. Thanks

+1 for Indusoft Web Studio. I got great help from their tech support. I have only dealt with some minor changes to one system, but their staff is on the ball and their software seems to have plenty of bang for the buck.

+1 for Red Lion HMI hardware and Crimson software. If you want to avoid windows I don't think you can do better as far as performance. Turn on the power and 7 seconds later you are running fast and ferociously. There are very few things a G3 or Graphite can't do that require a PC, and you don't have to spend a dime to try it and test with the PC based emulator.

I am getting really good support for my first Ignition project which I have just gotten my toes wet with. I seem to spend a half a day learning, then do other things for a month then get another half a day at it, but I am liking what it offers so far.

We just paid $573 for a development license for IWS, and another $75 for a USB hardware key to put the license on. I think the price for a runtime license is similar. I think that was for a 1000 tag license. So, about one fifth the cost of Factory Talk give or take, but the licensing schemes are different, since FT uses the number of displays as the basis, and IWS uses tag count.