Network newbie question.....

jb35sport

We are looking to possibly integrate a PLC (500 or 5000 platform) into existing relay controls on three PVC extruder lines and would like to add a Panelview Plus 1000 as the HMI interface.

We are looking for added functionality.....things such as hours log, faults, data logging, and other I/O interface.

We want a cost effective way to approach the project.....Can we effortlessly network all 3 processors and the HMI thru a switch and then read/write to the various processors?

Do you think Allen Bradley is the best route for this or would you recommend looking into cheaper alternatives such as Automation Direct or Red Lion for possible solutions?

Thanks in advance for any feedback provided!

Jb35sport
I think it is doable and 1 HMI will work for all 3 extruders
But if I were doing the project I would insist on at least 2 HMI running the same program on both in case you have a problem with one you can use the other. As you are aware you can't just stop a PVC extruder they have to be purged anytime you interrupt the flow.
It looks like an interesting project